Sign in to follow this  

TT600 Piston Slap - Overheat??

I have a 83 Yamaha TT600. Three years ago while trail riding, the stock piston began to have bad piston slap (sounded like marbles in the cylinder, increased with revs). I purchased a LA Sleeve and Weisco piston and had it installed at a local shop. After trail riding the bike for six hours, there was a large amount of piston slap. I disassembled the top end and the skirting on the piston was beat up. Fearing the shop I used didn’t properly fit the piston, I sent the cylinder to LA Sleeve to have it bored and installed the oversized Pro X piston. After about six hours, the noise returned once again. I’ve checked the clearance on the crank and it is within spec. I’m doing tight trail riding with this bike with speeds between 10 and 15mph. Is it possible the engine is overheating? If so, is this something that could be cured with a ceramic coated piston? Any other ideas? I love the bike, but this is getting pretty expensive.

sounds like your rod is bad at the small end ? i had a couple that the piston pin was loose. did you ck this? only thing left-------

The wrist pin was tight, but I didn't check the numbers. I'll give that a shot. Thanks.

In my admittedly brief experience of the 600 the piston slap was noticeable at low revs but not at high. The piston skirt is so shallow that the piston literally rocks at each end of it's stroke when worn. If the little end is ok, have you checked to see if the conrod is bent?

Where are the wear marks on the piston? That might prove it. I don't know specifically about the 600 but if an engine ingests water that can sometimes result in a bent rod.

any pics of damaged pistons? all big singles rattle especially with a forged piston + valve noise. if the piston is seizing it's probably from lubrication problems, creating heat. need to see the damaged pistons. my 600 is bored out to 621 and is not noisy.