Sign in to follow this  

Bike will push start but won't kick start?

Hey guys, my 04 rm125, all stock except pipe, doesn't kick start. I've fully rebuilt the carb, cleaned the air filter, n put in a brand new plug and it still won't kick over. If I push start it, it runs like a dream but when I stop, it won't kick over again. I've been told it could need a new top end (there's some oil around my spark plug and a lot out of my brand new pipe) or the magneto. Anyone have any guesses? Thanks.

Does the kick starter feel like it is functioning properly? (ie. compression, full range of motion, etc.)

Ya the kick starter feels normal and the bike sounds like it wants to start but never does. I thought that after warming it up and riding it that it would start right back up but it doesn't unless I push start it again.

You could check the reeds first, but may need new rings at least. My brother had a YZ 80 and dirt got sucked into the cylinder and lowered compression. We could kick all day and it wouldn't start, but push it to start it and it ran like crazy.

I'm betting that it's low compression ~ and that it's time for a new top end.

The normal tell tale sign of a two stroke top end that's been pushed too long is hard starting.

weisco, pro x, or even oem. i prefer weisco just because thats what ive used in my bikes and they work great but ive put in pro x pistons in buddies bikes and they work just fine too. just remember to inspect your cyl walls while the jug is off

could be your jetting

my 250 was jetted way too rich

one kick with a little throttle was enough to flood it, you really coudnt get it going then by kickstarting

but push start worked