Sign in to follow this  

California 2 stroke trail bike

Seems like every few months I start contemplating a 2 stroke that I can pick up cheap, work on myself, and beat on. Well I'm back to it again, maybe a to me from me xmas gift. Originally I was thinking of a 2002 or earlier (green sticker) KTM300, but now I'm thinking a Yamaha 250. What do you guys think . . . pros cons, things to look for/avoid, good years, bad years, price for a good deal. Reliablity is key as I do not want to waste my riding time stuck fixing issues or even worse be stuck out on the side of the trail.

Ha, I do the same thing every few months. 4 strokes are great but if I could get a second bike it would be a 250 two stroke. KTM sx250 or Yamaha yz250. The KTM 300 is a great bike if you only can have one bike but it is so 4 stroke like it doesnt have that hit like the 250's. OMO

the ktm 250, 300 or 380 even, are awesome trail bikes. I've had several of each. get them set up to you and they work well. extremely reliable and easy to wok on.

the yz is a great bike as well....

watch craigslist. good deals pop up now and then. don't be afraid to low ball.

here ya go

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/mcy/2698350971.html

Hey Joe I love my yz next time we ride you could always take it out for a spin. Ive preferred it a little over the ktm 300 and 380s Ive tried.

Nice thing about the 2002 yz250 is that its the same body and engine as the 2012. So theres a alot of parts available for it.

They changed the frame in 2005 but the 2002 is an incredible bike. KTM's are great except they are a pain in the ass to find, and if you do find one you won't be "stealing" it by any means. Be careful though....because if you get a 2t I guarantee one of your bikes will start collecting dust and it ain't gonna be the blue one :busted:

Edited by andrew34
I can't spell very well :-(

Hey Joe, you should try Steve-O's YZ 250 with the Rekluse Clutch. I think you would like it.

I'm currently doing the same 'mc-soul-searching' and have come to the conclusion that a 2012 KTM300-XC is the only bike that will make me 'happy', since it has e-start. No other two stroke (worth mentioning) the e-start but KTM.

Add me to the list of "thinking about a 2 stroke." 2000-2001 cr250 would suit me. But I don't ride the bike I have right now enough, so it will probably stay a pipe dream.

It's amazing the number of 2 strokes for sale on Craigslist that have "only one ride on new top end".......

Hey Joe, you should try Steve-O's YZ 250 with the Rekluse Clutch. I think you would like it.

I'm currently doing the same 'mc-soul-searching' and have come to the conclusion that a 2012 KTM300-XC is the only bike that will make me 'happy', since it has e-start. No other two stroke (worth mentioning) the e-start but KTM.

I thought SteveO rides a YZ 450:excuseme: If I do go the 2 stroke route, I would probably end up putting a Rekluse on it as the older ones don't have the e-button and probably won't have a hydrolic clutch like I'm used to on the KTM. Want something really light and nimble . . . I don't need the bike to have crazy power, would rather have something that I could lug when I get into trouble and that is easy to ride. I'd be keeping my KTM450 which I love and has been a great all around bike, but it would be cool to have a bike that I could set up for the tighter more technical trails.

Saw this one . . . I don't really know what to look for in a used bike, and there's not much to the description . . . .

http://ventura.craigslist.org/mcy/2687725198.html

Edited by schmo

the ktm 250, 300 or 380 even, are awesome trail bikes. I've had several of each. get them set up to you and they work well. extremely reliable and easy to wok on.

the yz is a great bike as well....

watch craigslist. good deals pop up now and then. don't be afraid to low ball.

here ya go

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/mcy/2698350971.html

Thats a nice deal, I been looking for something like that for that price range

Im going stir crazy not having a bike out here, Especially today, after a fresh rain :busted:

I had a reasonably priced 450 MXC lined up for a project bike, and it fell through

On the early 2000's KTMs . . . what is the difference between the 250, 300, and 380?

I'll echo some of the previous comments. I wouldn't get a KTM 300 unless it was going to be my only bike, then it would get strong consideration. I had a 2001 KTM 250 EXC (smoker) and loved it, but it is nowhere near the bike that I've got now in my 2006 YZ250. The YZ is considerably lighter, quicker, turns better, has better suspension, and has plenty of bottom for a 2-stroke. It did take me a while to get used to the close ratio tranny, and for a lot of woods or desert riding the KTM wide ratio tranny was a better fit. Fortunately I also have my plated KTM 525, so I've always got options.

I do like the e-start idea on the newer KTMs, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker in my decision making if I was shopping for another smoker. In fact since the YZ is by far the best woods bike I've ever owned, I would probably stick with a MX based bike, mostly for the considerable weight difference, the quicker acceleration, and the way they turn. I know how good the YZ is, and I've heard good things about the 250 SX, which is even lighter than the YZ and is supposed to be really good when set up right for off-road.

• Like 1

chassis had more flex and the frames were tubes instead of flattened. suspension wasnt what it is today, but with a ittle work its very good.

the 380 motor is really nice. it climbs like a cheater bike. seriously. no need to rev, it just chugs away at any rpm. they all got the hydraulic clutch in '98 or '99. from 98 till 03 they had the 43mm forks. after that they went to 48's. Lots of offroaders prefered the 43's for enduro style riding cuz the 48's felt stiff. numerous small changes over the years...

put an 05-06 shock on the older bike and it really improves the handling....

I thought SteveO rides a YZ 450:excuseme: If I do go the 2 stroke route, I would probably end up putting a Rekluse on it as the older ones don't have the e-button and probably won't have a hydrolic clutch like I'm used to on the KTM. Want something really light and nimble . . . I don't need the bike to have crazy power, would rather have something that I could lug when I get into trouble and that is easy to ride. I'd be keeping my KTM450 which I love and has been a great all around bike, but it would be cool to have a bike that I could set up for the tighter more technical trails.

Saw this one . . . I don't really know what to look for in a used bike, and there's not much to the description . . . .

Make no mistake Joe, a YZ 250 probably won't have the chug down low that your 450 has. Set up with a Rekluse and a FWW will help it but it will be a completly different animal from your KTM. Having said that, the YZ will force you to ride more aggressively and make you a better rider :busted:

The YZ is bullet proof. The motor had many years of r&d and same with the rest of the bike. I am probably a little bias but its hard to beat. The suspension would probably need springs but could be adjusted to be very nice stock for trails. Most of all like mentioned the parts are easy and cheap to get. I have left mine stock because it works ok in tight stuff but does great for all types of riding. I'm sure a rekluse, FWW and gearing would make it exceptional in tight stuff. :busted:

I thought SteveO rides a YZ 450:busted: If I do go the 2 stroke route, I would probably end up putting a Rekluse on it as the older ones don't have the e-button and probably won't have a hydrolic clutch like I'm used to on the KTM. Want something really light and nimble . . . I don't need the bike to have crazy power, would rather have something that I could lug when I get into trouble and that is easy to ride. I'd be keeping my KTM450 which I love and has been a great all around bike, but it would be cool to have a bike that I could set up for the tighter more technical trails.

He does. I am mixing up my riders/bikes.........:busted:

Joe I think you would love a 2 stroke. They are light and nimble but they do require some clutch work. However, it will not have the chugging ability of your 450. I think you will love any bike south of 230 lbs. I would say go for it. Worst case, you sell it 6 months later for the same price if you do not like it. But I don't think that will happen. Plus, like Andrew said it will make you a better more aggressive rider :busted::thumbsup:

Do it! The smokers are great fun, cheap, and reliable. I have an old clapped out 250SX that I have ridden for a few years with zero issues. I had a YZ prior to that and it was a great bike. I just wanted 2 orange bikes to swap parts when needed. In regards to lugging, the 300's and 380's are nice, but even a 250 can be tuned to be a tractor. I just got my 250 SX ported at Forward Motion and the bike is an absolute tractor pulls from waaay low and still has good power all of the way to the top:banana:

I think you would like a 2t. I have both a 2000 yz250 and a WR450. Both fun to ride but the yz is so light in comparision its unbelieveable. I never think about the weight of the yz while riding it but I do on the WR. If you have both you have the best of both worlds - I just deceide which one I want to ride depending on the type of riding I am going to do that day. Also while the modern 4ts dont need much up keep the 2t really only needs a topend once in a while to keep it fresh. Depending on how you ride it that can be a long time. Ride one if you can to see if you like it - there is a reason their still popular in off road racing.

• Like 1

I would get an RMX 250, especially the 96-98 models with the conventional forks. Their not as light as a more modern 2T, but their absolutely reliable and long lasting. I have a large desert tank on mine and can go 100+ miles at a decent clip.

The real advantage with the RMX is that you can ride it a gear or two high, and use the low end torque, or open it up, when the PV opens it goes like h***. It's a bike that can be ridden all day without beating you up.

Love my YZ: it is set up as the woods machine.

Then again any late modeled from all the brands would work.

Chase the best possible deal, I love the RM, there is a reason you see so many

KTM's, KX sure. A 06 or above anything will so work with minimal capital outlay,

and that is so important for the simple fact-this will not be a liquid asset when it's in your name.