Sign in to follow this  

Tail Light Wiring

For a winter project, I am putting my 2008 S-model on a diet. The first thing to go is that big, heavy, nasty tail light.

I had a brand new UFO enduro rear fender/light combination I want to use, but when I took the bike apart, I found that the harness that leads to the tail light has a rather specialized plug with 3 tiny solderless (spade) connectors in it. Wires are black w/white stripe, tan, and white w/black stripe.

I am pretty sure the black w/white stripe is ground for the socket. But the tan and white w/black stripe are less obvious. One should be stop light and the other should be tail light -- but which is which is a mystery.

My questions are -- can anyone tell me which wires support which lighting function? Also, I don't want to cut into the factory harness and am looking for a means of tapping into the factory plug with something that will be clean looking and reliable.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Black with white stripe is ground. Real easy to test for which wire is stop and which is tail but I'll save you the trouble. Brown is tail light and White with Black stripe is stop light.

I can't help you on connectors. Perhaps buy a used OEM tail light off eBay and cut off the wires and splice on to your UFO.

Thanks. Saved me some trouble...Was thinking that looking for an old OEM light that someone no longer wanted would be a good source for a connector, but hate to buy the whole thing for a little plug.