CRF150RB for adult mx and enduro????

Hi,

I sold my 250f end of last year thinking I would stop riding but now found out I'm still sick...the bug is still there and I want to ride again. Thinking of combining mx with some enduro, all just for the pure fun of riding, no competition at all.

With my 250f I struggled a lot as I found it too high and heavy, even after spring adjustments etc.

I'm 5"5 and weight 150lbs, so was considering a 150rb as I could probably handle it a lot better and even be faster than on 250f due to handling it more confidently and easily.

Any other adults riding these? How bad would the teasing be from my bulky mates riding 250's and 450's and other riders ?

If anyone riding these do you find them suitable for both uses, trails/enduro and mx?

Thanks in advance

I rode a drz125 converted to mx with 170 big bore and kx 100 suspension to give myself a easy bike to learn on as I was total novice at 38 years old even did couple races on bike and I am 6 feet and 200 pounds. Couple guys bugged me about bike but I would finish mid pack in c class and learned to ride bike hard and keep corner speed up. I then moved up to a Husky125 that I later made into 144 and it did make me faster since I still had to work bike and myself hard to keep up with 250f and 450 and moved into top ten in open c class and this last year ended up 5 place in 8 race series. I just bought a 250f and only rode it 4 times before the snow hit, it is so easy to ride and will be my race bike next year. I am still riding and racing but alot of buddys who gave me a hard time about drz have quit or hurt themselves so bad they have quit. I feel more confident on 250f and ride it like my 2 stroke. Overall what I am trying to say is ride what you want and what makes you happy and comfortable on. The CRF150r are great bikes and seen a couple shorter adults race them with good results.

Edited by pedec

Hi,

I sold my 250f end of last year thinking I would stop riding but now found out I'm still sick...the bug is still there and I want to ride again. Thinking of combining mx with some enduro, all just for the pure fun of riding, no competition at all.

With my 250f I struggled a lot as I found it too high and heavy, even after spring adjustments etc.

I'm 5"5 and weight 150lbs, so was considering a 150rb as I could probably handle it a lot better and even be faster than on 250f due to handling it more confidently and easily.

Any other adults riding these? How bad would the teasing be from my bulky mates riding 250's and 450's and other riders ?

If anyone riding these do you find them suitable for both uses, trails/enduro and mx?

Thanks in advance

All though I am 6'4" tall, I have ridden one of these bikes and they rip. You will love it.

I have seen plenty of small adults ridding these bikes.

Buy it and enjoy it.

bundy

How much have you ridden. At 5'5" and 150 you should be able to handle a 250F. If you can't work out more and practice you will get there. Or you could get a 125. Once you get your technique down a full size bike will be better. I found on 85's or 150's I can't really stand up comfortablely.

How much have you ridden. At 5'5" and 150 you should be able to handle a 250F. If you can't work out more and practice you will get there. Or you could get a 125. Once you get your technique down a full size bike will be better. I found on 85's or 150's I can't really stand up comfortablely.

Thanks for all replies so far.

To answer your questions, I can ride and have been doing since I was 10 with an interval from 18 to 30. I can ride the bike for hours without coming off but don't feel to confident as bike feels a bit big and heavy. I workout 6 days a week for about 1 to 1.5 hours a day from weight to plyo training, so working out more not really an option... no more time in the week :busted:. I am not super strong so think I might handle better and have more fun (which is my primary thing about riding) on a smaller 4t bike. I am not looking for speed, just more control specially on those muddy clay style days when digging the 250 out of ruts is a pig.

Thanks guys, any other experiences appreciated.

Thanks for all replies so far.

To answer your questions, I can ride and have been doing since I was 10 with an interval from 18 to 30. I can ride the bike for hours without coming off but don't feel to confident as bike feels a bit big and heavy. I workout 6 days a week for about 1 to 1.5 hours a day from weight to plyo training, so working out more not really an option... no more time in the week :busted:. I am not super strong so think I might handle better and have more fun (which is my primary thing about riding) on a smaller 4t bike. I am not looking for speed, just more control specially on those muddy clay style days when digging the 250 out of ruts is a pig.

Thanks guys, any other experiences appreciated.

Well you have the work out thing down I would suggest riding more. You may have more fun on the small bike I just know for me it was hard to stand up on a 150. I am only 5'8" so not much taller than you and I felt like I was seriously going to get hurt trying to ride a small bike. What ever you choose to do have fun and good luck.

I am 40+ years old, 5'8", 170lbs and raced MX for years. Once my kids got too fast for me to keep up with them on a Z-50 I bought a 150RB. There's TONS of stuff on the 150 forum about adults riding these bikes. I'll give you a quick rundown on my set-up. BBR adult springs(re-valved Front and rear), RSW triple clamps w/3in risers, Renthal CRF150 Adult Bend bars, YZ250 shifter, Fastway pegs on the lower setting, and a Gutts Racing Tall seat. This thing is really fun to ride, and and is SO fast through turns. I've raced it in the 30+ and 40+ B class and having lots of fun.

Motojunk what class of rider are you my guess is A or pro. I know where blackcrf is comming from and a pro or A class rider would not. When you talk about standing up while riding that is not a issue for a novice rider at first it all about feeling in control of bike when you start and standing up will come later on but when you start it more important to touch the ground with feet when you get cross rutted or front end start to wash out. As you get faster and find going faster and standing up make it easier and not putting a foot down is better, but thats take time to get to that level. I would go with what you think you will be happy on and not listen to fast guys at first they look at bikes and tracks,jumps different than us novice guys.

Right, I think pedec really hit the nail...

CT, thanks for the setup details (I'm sure I'll use them) and putting someone bigger than me on one having loads of fun :busted:.

In summary I guess what I want is just to have fun and get all those dormant skills from when was a teenager back and then when technique is put down again I can probably upgrade to 250 if feel like it.

Off to classifieds to start looking for one :busted:.

Motojunk what class of rider are you my guess is A or pro. I know where blackcrf is comming from and a pro or A class rider would not. When you talk about standing up while riding that is not a issue for a novice rider at first it all about feeling in control of bike when you start and standing up will come later on but when you start it more important to touch the ground with feet when you get cross rutted or front end start to wash out. As you get faster and find going faster and standing up make it easier and not putting a foot down is better, but thats take time to get to that level. I would go with what you think you will be happy on and not listen to fast guys at first they look at bikes and tracks,jumps different than us novice guys.

Where am at you have to earn points to move in to the next class so I still race C class as I have only done two races. That being said I guess my speed really makes me a fast C or slow B rider. At any speed learning proper technique is good. Even if you plan to just cruz around I think you will find standing helps. You should do what ever makes you happy I was just suggesting pushing yourself a bit to get used to the big bike as my opinion is you will be happier later. That is just my opinion and has nothing to do with your opinion. Yours is the one that counts, for you. When I give an opinion I expect people to take it as food for thought only and disregard what doesn't work for you. No harm no foul enjoy your 150 I have no doubt it will be fun. I hope my first post didn't seam harsh I meant it as encouraging. Good Luck and take care.

Where am at you have to earn points to move in to the next class so I still race C class as I have only done two races. That being said I guess my speed really makes me a fast C or slow B rider. At any speed learning proper technique is good. Even if you plan to just cruz around I think you will find standing helps. You should do what ever makes you happy I was just suggesting pushing yourself a bit to get used to the big bike as my opinion is you will be happier later. That is just my opinion and has nothing to do with your opinion. Yours is the one that counts, for you. When I give an opinion I expect people to take it as food for thought only and disregard what doesn't work for you. No harm no foul enjoy your 150 I have no doubt it will be fun. I hope my first post didn't seam harsh I meant it as encouraging. Good Luck and take care.

Thanks, I do appreciate all opinions. The more heads the better the ideas and suggestions. Once again thanks to everyone. I know where you are coming from and I could probably get used to the 250 with persistancy ,as I was clearing fairly sized table tops on it, but when conditions are bad (muddy ruts etc) I struggle so I'll try the 150 for a while and see what it goes. Maybe after a few months of the 150 I'll jump straight to the 250 and totally dominate her :busted:.

Thanks again everyone.

Moto, what exactly did you mean by not feeling comfortable standing up. Why was that, specially on the 150? Could you describe what the problem was?

Thanks

I ride it in adult classes where most guys are on 450's. They obviously smoke me in the fast sections and on the jumps, but through the tight S's I actually have an advantage. Some of the lines I can take they would never get to on a 450.

I ride it in adult classes where most guys are on 450's. They obviously smoke me in the fast sections and on the jumps, but through the tight S's I actually have an advantage. Some of the lines I can take they would never get to on a 450.

CT, as you ride one, could you tell me if you know what junkiedan means by not feeling comfortable stading up on one? Do have any constrains on riding it standing? Is the front too light?

Thanks

CT, as you ride one, could you tell me if you know what junkiedan means by not feeling comfortable stading up on one? Do have any constrains on riding it standing? Is the front too light?

Thanks

The taller triple clamps (and bars), tall seat, and lower pegs open the cockpit up a lot. I actually don't even have my bars and clamps in the highest setting. Go to the 150r forum and you will find plenty info on setting up these bikes.

Have you considered staying with a 250F and getting the suspension lowered a bit? If you could get the bike 1.5" lower that might make a world of difference with feeling more in control of the bike.

I did consider it and when I had my one I got the seat lowered by 2" but still couldn't start the bike uphill on when stuck. The actual suspension lowering I consider it loads of times but every time I was told that would just upset the bike geometry and make it a lot less rideable. Not sure how much this is true as I never ended up doing it.

Thanks

What about a Service Honda Jr ?

Its a CRF150 with the crf250 motor? ..........

This is exactly what you need!:busted:

I'm 38 years old, about 5' 2" and 145 pounds. I've been riding my 150RB for almost 3 year now after getting tired of falling over and not being able to touch the ground on a 250F. Most all the guys I ride with ride 450's. I can run with them on MX tracks and trails for the most part, but feel like I am having to ride much harder to keep up I really notice the difference on fast sections of an MX track, and up hill sections of trails. I have been looking into these 250Jr's from Service Honda for awhile now, and if I can ever save up the money (and convince the wife :busted:) I will be getting one!

This is exactly what you need!:busted:

I'm 38 years old, about 5' 2" and 145 pounds. I've been riding my 150RB for almost 3 year now after getting tired of falling over and not being able to touch the ground on a 250F. Most all the guys I ride with ride 450's. I can run with them on MX tracks and trails for the most part, but feel like I am having to ride much harder to keep up I really notice the difference on fast sections of an MX track, and up hill sections of trails. I have been looking into these 250Jr's from Service Honda for awhile now, and if I can ever save up the money (and convince the wife :busted:) I will be getting one!

Never heard of it before, did a little google and bam... uau... that would be it, perfect. Tried the where to buy Uk link and... site suspended :bonk:. Will try to contact the US guys to see if I can get contacts for re-sellers here in UK.

But a million thanks guys, looks perfect. If I can't find one I'll go for the 150RB anyway, cant' face technical trails on the 250f's, a bit too much for me.

Cheers