Sign in to follow this  

99-02 KX250 plastic upgrade?

Has anyone tried to update their 99-02 KX with 03> plastic?

The more I look at them, the less I like the look on the L-series shrouds & side panels. I saw these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290626122435?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

... wasn't sure if it was a generic pic, or if the fitment chart at the bottom is correct.

Personally, I'm not crazy about the "thumper" shrouds, but I do prefer the look of the 03> KX shouds & the N-Style Ultra graphics (love 'em).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150616124704?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Well, I have her down to the bare frame, engine disassembled and KX295project is underway! I have the KDX250 trans on hand (thanx to Ed for the R&D), new bearings, Pro-Tapers, Pro Bends, chain & sprockets, Works Connection skid plate... and list goes on.

Usually projects like these require changing the subframe tank and airbox.

I thought the tank & airbox might be necessary, although it might be easier to modify the stock subframe.

first thing when I think about an update is do the new shrouds fit the seat line.

KX250-99new.jpg

at least they are not completely off. the 2003-2008 KX update to 06-08 4-T shrouds is relatively easy, an update to 2009-2011 shrouds a bit more difficult and a 2006-2012 YZ250 to 2006-2009 4-T shrouds nearly impossible...

so I cannot say if it would be easy. of course the makes are not interested if the new plastic fits the older models. do any car wings, doors... fit older models? of course not! so forget about buying them and put them on with no modifications.

I wanted to change both shrouds & side plates as well...

I thought the fuel tank attachment points might be the same, but I expected to modify the airbox and/or subframe somewhat.

I suppose I will gather items & try... unless someone wants to chime in with a definate "been there-done that".

Better to modify attachment points prior to powdercoating.