Sign in to follow this  

Blown Head Gasket 1983 XR350R

Hello all this is my first post on an any forum ever. I’m an old family man, desert trail rider, mediocre mechanic and a terrible speller, but damn good at having fun.

I have a 1983 Honda XR350R. I’ve had it for years. It recently decided to blown a head gasket but it still starts and runs.

I have a few questions

- how hard is this to replace?

- what are the Torque specs for the head bolts?

- what are some odd things to look out for?

- can i change it with the motor in the frame?

ill appreciate any help and advice.

Thanks

Manxman

Hi Manx, I also have an XR350, great bike first of all :busted:

1) This depends on your mechanical skills. There is nothing terribly difficult about the proceedure, however, without the manual, it may make it a little tricky for the timing ect.

2) I don't have the manual handy but can get those specs for you later if you decide to tackle it.

3) The only "odd" thing I would say to look out for is the little pin used for the decompression device in the head. You need to use grease to keep it in place during re-assembly. Everything else is straight forward.

4) No, you cannot change it while it is in the frame. There is not enough clearance. Good luck!

I've got an 85 xr 350 r and have just rebuilt the gearbox new seals and bearings throughout and a gasketkit and couldn't have done it without the manual. Highly reccomend it but I can give you the torques as well (tight then a little more, just kidding)

Reviving an old thread, looking for explaining why I did blew a headgasket... the metal cooked and desintegrated.

Upon dismantling, I found that one of the headbolt was loose.... but the metal has been a bit cooked on the head and cylinder.

As for doing it without the manual, the worse part is to install the tensioner without special tool. Otherwise it can be done with the engine in the frame... I am redoing my second rebuilt since 2007.

Image of the first rebuilt.

900_0050.JPG