Sign in to follow this  

1982 cr500r

I guess that I am now a Thumper. Just brought home a 1982 XR500R. It had been sitting for about 4 years unused. Would not start. Cleaned out the carb, changed oil and got it running. Very badly, though. Has to idle about 1500 rpm with the choke fully closed. Anything else and it quits. And while it is doing this it has an occasional backfire. I rode it up my road and back and it is strong when the throttle is opened. Nice! I plan on making this a winter project and will tear into it but any quick ideas for now will help. It is valuable because it was licensed as a dual sport back when California allowed such things and my buddy never let the registration lapse because he knew that he could never get it back. Paid the fees every year! So, why is this thing so tempermental? (BTW, I had a Royal Enfield 400cc Trials bike back in the late 1960's so I guess I always was a "Thumper") Never owned a 2-stroke bike. Thanks, and I'm glad to be a part of this group.

Congratulations on the bike and welcome to TT.

Sounds like your pilot jet is still clogged and you're probably pulling fuel through the main jet at that rpm with the choke closed.

I don't think the pilot jets are removable on those carbs so you have to be pretty persistant cleaning them.

The pilot jet might have a cap with a small tang on the side to keep from adjusting it too much. You can use a dremel and cut the tang and unscrew it all the way out . First screw it in all the way till it lightly bottoms out. Count the revolutions going in. Unscrew it all the way out looking for the spring washer and possibly a tiny rubber o ring.

Thanks for the advice. I'll take the carb apart again and do more than a quickee wash out.

And no, I knew the Honda was 4-stroke. I just meant that of all of the bikes I've had, I never had a smoker. By choice.

The pilot jet might have a cap with a small tang on the side to keep from adjusting it too much. You can use a dremel and cut the tang and unscrew it all the way out . First screw it in all the way till it lightly bottoms out. Count the revolutions going in. Unscrew it all the way out looking for the spring washer and possibly a tiny rubber o ring.

I think scotteroni is talking about the fuel mixture screw here , it may well need cleaning out also . As said by the others , it seems your pilot circut/jet is clogged . try soaking the carb in solvent/parrafin or even pine oil and use air pressure to blow it out and clean the galleries . If possible remove any and all jets to clean . This is a common occurrence when bikes are left to sit for a long time and the fuel evaporates in the carby leaving residue that can set like varnish , greg

Thanks for the advice. I'll take the carb apart again and do more than a quickee wash out.

And no, I knew the Honda was 4-stroke. I just meant that of all of the bikes I've had, I never had a smoker. By choice.

ok the way you worded it confused me a little bit