Sign in to follow this  

found a KLR

I found a 2002 KLR 650 lurking in the back of my local bike shop. It looked like they were hiding it. I asked the saleseman and he told me it was a consignment bike and the owner wanted $2,000. The bike has handwarmers, brush guards, custom seat, fork braces, custom pegs. It sounds and rides good, has an annoying whistle out the pipe (normal?) has 11,000 miles. Plastic is not perfect, ticks loudly when you push it, I didn't ask about the doo-hicky. This a decent deal or should I steer clear? I have an XL-600 that I'm tired of kicking.

That sounds like a decent deal. The whistle from the exhaust is something that the stock exhaust acquires over a period of time. It's known as the "tweet". So yes, it's normal. There's a fix for it.

The ticking is most likely the valves. It's not uncommon. You should do a valve clearances inspection if you buy it. Hearing a little valve ticking noise is better than not hearing any at all(means they're too tight). If you get a chance to talk to the owner, things like last valve inspection, the Doohickey and other things can be asked at that time.

But if by "pushing it" you mean getting on the throttle hard, the noise could from running too low octane fuel, pre-ignition, running the wrong spark plug, wrong jetting, general carb tuning or it could need the chain slack of the balancer system(Doohickey) adjusted( an easy 1 minute procedure).

Like any used or "new to you" bike, you'll need to go over it, get a Clymer manual for it and read the major KLR forums to help you learn the ins and outs of it.

I have an '04 that's been a good bike.

Sounds like a good deal. I picked up a 2006 last week with 10K mile for the same price, but it didn't have the additions yours does. The clicking could also be the cam chain tensioner. Krieger makes a great manual adjusting cam chain tensioner. On my KLX250, the clicking was more of a loud rattle at around 5,000 rpm.