Sign in to follow this  

Did I destroy my reed cage?

Hey all I put my reed cage in the dishwasher yesterday. I think it was a bad idea because under the carbon (reeds?) something used to be glued the the cage and it wouldn't come off. Now it seems to have come unglued, is that a problem even if i bolt it back together? Does it need to be glued? Can i glue it? Is my reed cage F*#ked?

:busted:

Thanks in advance

TRUTH...I would not put it back in,WHY.....If it does come apart it will go straight to your piston!!!

I put my airfilter in the woodstove, It was still ok after I had a fire....

TRUTH...I would not put it back in,WHY.....If it does come apart it will go straight to your piston!!!

Nothing's going to literally fly off, shit's just going to slap around in there, it's bolted to the reed cage.

Basically the equivalent to the yellow things in this

pic.

7226.jpg

Hey all I put my reed cage in the dishwasher yesterday. I think it was a bad idea because under the carbon (reeds?) something used to be glued the the cage and it wouldn't come off. Now it seems to have come unglued, is that a problem even if i bolt it back together? Does it need to be glued? Can i glue it? Is my reed cage F*#ked?

Thanks in advance

That's a two stage reed, and you messed up one of the stages. It will no longer run correctly. You don't want ANYTHING to get inside the cylinder...

If the reed petal is damaged, yes, it can come off... and go into the crankcase, get knocked around in there for a while... Is it going to do a lot of damage? I doubt it.

But... I had a pine needle work its way through the airbox/throttlebody/reeds on my sled a few years ago, that cost me pistons and a cylinder.

I tear my reeds apart every year, they unscrew pretty easy. Hand-wash in the sink, put them back together. Not too hard to do.

DSC08297.jpg

Pull 'em off the motor, bolts go in a gatorade bottle with naptha in it to clean 'em up a little.

DSC08302.jpg

Pull all the screws out, disassemble...

DSC08311.jpg

....and into the sink with warm water and dish soap. Careful with the petals.

DSC08313.jpg

Hand-wash everything.

DSC08318.jpg

Rinse, dry, then put them back together.

DSC08331.jpg

The dishwasher? You're kidding right?

Oh what I'd like to post, but UdLuz would have me banned if I did.

The stuff that came off is neoprene or some other substance like rubber. It keeps your reeds from slapping themselves to brittle pieces over time.

Your reed cage is shot. Your reeds are probably useless. Replace them all. Keep the reed stops for spares and fasteners.

I wouldn't think 180 degree water would do that, but maybe the jets from the dishwasher did.

That's a two stage reed, and you messed up one of the stages. It will no longer run correctly. You don't want ANYTHING to get inside the cylinder...

Well it's not the first layer yellow it's the REALLY yellow thing, it looks as though it's made so nothing slaps, my concern is that as air is being sucked up that that will flap up as well as the reeds if i bolt it on...

Here, she is, the yellow used to be stuck to the metal. Now it doesn't, from what I've learned in this thread it keeps the carbon part from flapping and breaking. Does it need to be stuck to the metal... is there any sort of glue i can use because this is quite expensive and the reeds are in perfect looking condition!(from my point of view). Can i just get the yellow part?

Thanks guys!

DSCN0558.jpg

DSCN0560.jpg

Edited by msurvilo
did the photo stuff wrong

Is it rubbery in texture? If so, yes, that's to keep the reeds from slapping the metal, becoming brittle and breaking. If it's hard like your reed, it's part of a dual stage reed (which it sort of looks like) and should be able to open and close like the other reed.

IMHO, (if it's rubber) you can glue it. The worst that will happen is it will come loose and you'll lose the seal, the bike will not run well if at all when that happens. What type of glue though, I have no idea. Maybe rubber cement?

I'd still keep an eye out for a used one on eBay or the TT classifieds.

Is that not just a boyesen rad valve as per the pictures listed ?. As stated the lower reed (yellow thing) was never stuck to the block, there is a rubberised coating on one side of the reed to promote sealing and probably life. Take the code stamped on the side of the block and order some new reeds for it. The block itself is a solid casting so cant see how you can really damage it. Seems a shame to throw away as they generally are a good mod.