Sign in to follow this  

Difference Betwean Top End Kits

I was gonna go with the Namura Top End kit to be cost effective, everyone here for the most part isn't to big on the Namura kits. I ended up going with a Wiseco which is what I have had in it, got a great deal on ebay for mine......

You don't wanna cheap out on this, might as well rock the wiseco or the ProX! If you don't have the tools to measure take your old piston and jug to a shop and have them measure it for ya so you know what size to get!

I was gonna go with the Namura Top End kit to be cost effective, everyone here for the most part isn't to big on the Namura kits. I ended up going with a Wiseco which is what I have had in it, got a great deal on ebay for mine......

You don't wanna cheap out on this, might as well rock the wiseco or the ProX! If you don't have the tools to measure take your old piston and jug to a shop and have them measure it for ya so you know what size to get!

Why is Namura bad?

its not bad, just not as good, basicaly with top end kits your debating between cast and forged pistons, heres the break down

Cast pros: cheaper, can have less cylinder clearance because the piston and cylinder expand at the same rate, minimal break in period

Cast cons: can shatter the piston skirt and caused a lot of problems, have to let warm up more than forged, have a bit higher weight than forged because the piston has to be thicker

Forged pros: lighter than cast because molecular stuctor is denser so its stronger, dont have to let warm up long before use, more durable so less piston changes, wont shatter like cast

Forged cons: more expensive, can expand faster than cylinder and seize, rare though.

thats all i can remember, im sure someone will post more. stock pistons were cast in 2 strokes, not sure if they still are. bascialy it boils down to forged is a little more expensive but more durable, cast is a bit cheaper but wont last quite as long in general. wiesco pistons are forged, pro x pistons are cast, i cant remember what namura is. most pistons are cast though. hope this helps

Edited by irunktm
messed up

Namura is cast. Have read about cast vs. forged many times. Was hoping to find something specifically "wrong" with Namura.

I was on the same search, found lots of good on the Namura but also read about how the skirt is prone to shattering. I ended up with the wiseco as it is the trusted brand + that's what i've been running in the past with zero issues......

I was on the same search, found lots of good on the Namura but also read about how the skirt is prone to shattering. I ended up with the wiseco as it is the trusted brand + that's what i've been running in the past with zero issues......

Anything certain on Namura vs. other cast brands that makes skirt more prone to shatter?

Anything certain on Namura vs. other cast brands that makes skirt more prone to shatter?

That I don't know! I guess after much thought and listening to what others here have experienced as well as recommended I decided I was going to go with the Wiseco...........I'd rather have peace of mind than wondering every time I go and ride if something was gonna shatter!

it it were me, id just go for the wiseco. ive had good experiences here, and its nice running a forged piston for extended top end intervals and feeling pretty good that nothing is going to go awry.

id probably also skip the namura. i have no reasoning besides just being cautious around cast pistons. iv read some bad things about namura, but ive also read bad things about wiseco pistons. sometimes you just have failures or a bad part. it happens. my money would be spent on a wiseco piston kit and oem gaskets.

the reason namura and other cast pistons skirts break is becuase how there made, there brittle. its all the molecular structor, any cast pistons will shatter if you hit it hard enough with a hammer, a forged piston wont, it all has to do with how the atoms are alligned and the metals density.

the reason namura and other cast pistons skirts break is becuase how there made, there brittle. its all the molecular structor, any cast pistons will shatter if you hit it hard enough with a hammer, a forged piston wont, it all has to do with how the atoms are alligned and the metals density.

Yes, thanks. :busted: Hoping to find bad press specific to Namura vice generalities of cast vs. forged.