Sign in to follow this  

question about 2012 450

Right now I have a 08 RM250, and an 08 RMZ450. I am thinking of selling both of these and getting a 2012. Riding 2 bikes is not as fun as it seems when you have to maintain 2 bikes. I am strongly considering a KX. My question is, can anybody tell me the comparison between the KX and RMZ? I am worried about the turning of the KX, the RMZ turns great. I would like to know what the overall feel of the 2012 is like. I have rode the older models, and they seemed real wide to me. I know the newer are slimmer. I can tell it is a way better bike by just watching RV2 riding one. His lap times went down significantly, in just a week of testing on one, and he looks more comfortable on one. I am just weighing my options. For me, its between a KX or RMZ. Thanks in advance.

1. Nothing will ever handle as good as an RM. That being said, the KX has come leaps and bounds ahead of where it was years ago. Especially with the 2012, you won't be disappointed. It's a good handling bike.

2. The 2012 is much slimmer and feels normal to me. I have a 2010 and it has that classic KX450F feel of a Mack truck. It's huge. Everyone who rides it says it feels ginormous. The new bike feels normal, much better.

3. Power. Simply put, the KX450F has the best engine in its class. You don't need to worry about this. If you didn't know already, the 2012 KX450F comes with multiple easy-access plugs for your ignition mapping to change the style of power delivery for the conditions or your own personal preference.

You won't be disappointed.

the 2012 kx 450f is both the best bike i have ver owned, and drove. I would say it handles the best, and the proof is there, ryan vilipoto dominated everything since the switch, motocross championship, mxon, monster cup. since i own one i can tell why he does.

I have not drove many different year 450's, but i have drove all the brand 450's besides ktm. but my 2012 is the first time i have felt anything close to the feel of a 250 2stroke in manuvering around on a 450!

even though it weight is pretty much the same, the little adjustments kawi made from 2011 to 2012 really made a difference, turning those big pig feeling bikes into a nice slim.

like said before, you wont be dissapointed!

You should have asked and I would have let you take mine for a lap at Tumbling Creek. I really like my 2012 and feel that it is leaps and bounds better than my 2011.

I wish I would have said something too. Dang it. Oh well. You doing anymore riding anytime soon?

I've got 3 rides (practice) on my '12. New to Kawasaki, not to 450's..

I really enjoy this one! best engine I've tried! no doubt... I think it turns great, and feels very stable. Rumor says it's durable.. ? I guess it's just as durable or better than other jap. bikes.

About the heavy feel... Yes a little, but it's about setup in my opinion, I've got my shock revalved to a looser setting, making it a lot less harsh, and less dead feeling. Now I'm a lot more one with the bike, and confidence gets higher every time I ride it. (shock setup allows rebound adjuster to be further out), about 18-22 clicks on mixed terrain. The rebound stack is tightened up to make up for the clicker setting, but you don't feel the rebound alot, before the rear get's into it's stroke, the comp stack is a little bit harder too, to compensate for the added "oil-bleed" through the rebound needle. I'm not a suspension tuner myself, but you might get my point :lol: To me it makes the bike handle a lot better, with a lot more plush suspension action! (as for the forks, I only turned the comp. out 6 clicks (from stock, did'nt count total comp. clicks... sorry) and set the rebound at 18 clicks...) I feel it has a lot of reb. damping in the forks stock! I'm getting a revalve front too, but I guess with just an oil change and a few more hours of riding, the forks will work pretty decent stock in my opinion.