Sign in to follow this  

California Register an OHV bike with no bill of sale?

Hey guys, I just bought a YZ80 for my girlfriend and I have the original title from yamaha the bike used to belong to the Alessi's and apparently they were technically a dealer so the title is a dealer title and not a California title if that makes sense? The guy I bought the bike from (who bought it from the Alessi family) never registered it nor did he get a bill of sale I didn't get one for our transaction because it would be useless without the one from the original owner. Im wondering if I should just fake a bill of sale from the original owner or if there is a way around all of this. I know the bike isn't stolen and when I did go to the dmv the typical employee spoke terrible english and proceeded to yell at me about how it would be madness to let me register it with no bill of sale even though I have the bike and title... classic. any help would be awesome

thanks

Hey guys, I just bought a YZ80 for my girlfriend and I have the original title from yamaha the bike used to belong to the Alessi's and apparently they were technically a dealer so the title is a dealer title and not a California title if that makes sense? The guy I bought the bike from (who bought it from the Alessi family) never registered it nor did he get a bill of sale I didn't get one for our transaction because it would be useless without the one from the original owner. Im wondering if I should just fake a bill of sale from the original owner or if there is a way around all of this. I know the bike isn't stolen and when I did go to the dmv the typical employee spoke terrible english and proceeded to yell at me about how it would be madness to let me register it with no bill of sale even though I have the bike and title... classic. any help would be awesome

thanks

Howdy - new here.

The best way to get the job done is to go through one of the registration services. Costs about $30 but the people who work there know all of the ins-and-outs of the DMV and can get stuff registered in 1 day that would take me 3 weeks to sort out. $30 looks cheap after you stand in line for a couple of hours.

I use a company called Auction Express Title in Placentia and recommend them if they are not too far away from you.

I've been through plenty of messy registrations, and you can basically get a chain of any length through, as long as you have an unbroken chain of bills of sale going back either to the dealer or the last valid registration.

You'll likely have to go back to the guy you got the bike from and get a bill of sale, and have him get one from the people he bought the bike from.

To register my YZ, I had to go to the customs office twice. Fortunately (for that, at least), that's about half a mile from my place.

You must have a bill of sale. You can't start the process without it. Get the form from the DMV website. Not much more than who the buyer and seller is, the date and the price. That is all you need. In general if the vehicle is not registered you do not have to make any kind of chain of ownership. Just who you got the bike from.

If the bike was registered at any point then you need the chain back to the last registered owned.

Hope it's not a VIN-less race bike or you can forget about registering it.

You must have a bill of sale. You can't start the process without it. Get the form from the DMV website. Not much more than who the buyer and seller is, the date and the price. That is all you need. In general if the vehicle is not registered you do not have to make any kind of chain of ownership. Just who you got the bike from.

If the bike was registered at any point then you need the chain back to the last registered owned.

Hope it's not a VIN-less race bike or you can forget about registering it.

Its got a vin and has never been registered so if i get a bill of sale from the guy i bought the bike from and ts not the name of the person on the title which after looking at it agian actually says "certificate of origin" I'll be okay?

If you have the cert of origin, it was never registered in this state as they always take it. Usually when a new vehicle is sold here the dealer takes the cert of origin to the DMV. I would go to the DMV with only the bill of sale and see how it goes.

I've registered several vehicles that were completely out of the DMV system and it was a simple procedure.

UPDATE: I got in contact with Mr. Alessi and he was very helpful n getting me a bill of sale and got that issue sorted but while i was at the DMV in bishop(best DMV I've ever visited) on my way up to mammoth I came to realize there is no emissions sticker... now the DMV woman told me I have to have CHP check it out, any idea what they do? run the vin or give me a sound test or something? Its a 2000 so it shouldn't be a red sticker right?

UPDATE: I got in contact with Mr. Alessi and he was very helpful n getting me a bill of sale and got that issue sorted but while i was at the DMV in bishop(best DMV I've ever visited) on my way up to mammoth I came to realize there is no emissions sticker... now the DMV woman told me I have to have CHP check it out, any idea what they do? run the vin or give me a sound test or something? Its a 2000 so it shouldn't be a red sticker right?

The write "No emissions sticker" on the form and submit it to Sacramento. Someone in Sacto looks it up on a list to see if that year is red or green. A 2000 should be a green sticker.

The CHP checks to see if the bike is stolen. If not, they sign off on the form and send you back to the DMV to finish the registration. The CHP doesn't care what is on the bike. The last bike I registered wan't much more than a frame, motor, and wheels.

If you're still in the Bishop area stop at the CHP station there and ask for Brian, he'll take care of you.

If you're still in the Bishop area stop at the CHP station there and ask for Brian, he'll take care of you.

I stopped by no one was there that could help me, its too bad I moved out of mammoth right before I got back into dirt biking everything is so much easier up there.