Sign in to follow this  

NEWB with a question

so i just bought a 2011 yz250f and i decided to break it in then change the oil. i followed the manuals directions on the oil change. the manual stated to check the oil strainer that is in the oil tank. it said to remove hose clamp from strainer then remove strainer. never mentioned physically imposible to do without first unbolting hose from the case so long story short i damaged the strainer before taking it out the right way. no big deal i thought ill go to dealer and get one be good to go. they could not find it on their parts diagram so i looked myself on yamaha sight and could not find it either or the oil tank. so my question is where can i get one of these? i would have thought it be a common item. thanks!:busted:

It's probably the same as the 10 and maybe isnt listed in yamahas new, so to speak, parts list. did ya f it up that bad?

i also checked the 10 and 12 parts list with no luck its really not to bad just folded some mesh over i was not sure how critical these were to oil flow and did not want to chance it i figured dealer would have a few in stock but the parts guy actually had no idea what i was talking about he was trying to sell me the one that goes with the oil pump not the one in the oil tank i guess most people just clean them and put back in maybe that why no one stocks them but i like to error on the side of caution after spending this much on new bike ha ha..... someone has to know wher to find a parts list of the oil tank?? i also removed oil tank and flushed with clean oil and blew out just to be sure no little mesh fines are in oil tank (probably overkill) thanks for response poppa

Can you post a pic and maybe we can steal you in the right direction in to either repair or just run it as is. If you are serious about replacing it you can call up motorcycle wrecking yards and see if they can sell you one. Just go on eBay and there are A LOT of wrecking yards that sell stuff there. Give them a call and see what they can do

On a parts microfiche, the oil tank is in the subsection titled "side cover oil tank". That's in the frame section, not in the engine section, like one would think. You probably need #17. If I'm not mistaken, the screen in attached to the fitting(#17) that the oil tank drain plug goes into(what they call an oil pipe 1). I kinda screwed mine up 3 years back. I just straightened it up a bit and I'm still using it.

thanks alot guys for the help indy rider you are right a different dealer i went to today found it for me. he looked at mine and basically said stop examining the thing so damn hard lol he said it probably was like that from the factory so i put it back in and ran it. i am new to 250 four strokes so bare with me guys but this looks like a place with great info.