Sign in to follow this  

So long my old friend

After much deliberation i decided to leave my blue friends behind and join the pumpkin clan.

This thing is awesome, i got it this morning and went straight to the track.

ktm005.jpg

ktm004.jpg

Yum.

With rear suspension linkage and everything!

Can you get a 2-stroke in a Red Bull/Motorex version?

ktm_sx-f_350_persp_srgb.jpg

:busted: :busted: :bonk:

congrads...i had the opportunity to ride one a few weeks back and the rear end really soaked up the bumps. its a good bike!

Congrats, who can blame you with all of the technology KTM puts in their bikes, our ole yz's are dinosaurs. If I were buying a new bike I would not hesitate to get the KTM. Good for you, bad for Yamaha.

MAX!!!

Well I wouldn't buy a brand new bike if that is a testing field for engineers just to see if all works out as planned. As in cars don't buy a totally new concept if that has not seen a road, wait at least 2 years so all childhood diseases are gone.

For me as a 3rd worder :busted: replacement parts are quite important too.

Nice bike how much OTD?

MSRP was 6800. i payed 7800 OTD. i had to pay tax and ktm's "pain in the ass charge". (set up and freight)

I've never paid setup and freight charges. I always tell them that since the bike was on the showroom, the freight was already paid for. I also tell them to give me one still in the box to get rid of setup.

They always balk at first, but walk out the door and they will either call you back, chase you to your truck, or you will find one at another dealer without the freight and setup crap.

Never, ever be afraid to walk away from a deal if they won't work with you. There are dealers out there that will work with you and get you a heck of a deal out the door.

I've never paid setup and freight charges. I always tell them that since the bike was on the showroom, the freight was already paid for. I also tell them to give me one still in the box to get rid of setup.

They always balk at first, but walk out the door and they will either call you back, chase you to your truck, or you will find one at another dealer without the freight and setup crap.

Never, ever be afraid to walk away from a deal if they won't work with you. There are dealers out there that will work with you and get you a heck of a deal out the door.

This bike was almost impossible to find and everybody wants one so i didnt really have a choice

This bike was almost impossible to find and everybody wants one so i didnt really have a choice

Sorry, I didn't mean to come off sounding like an a$$. I hope you really enjoy your new ride. If only Yamaha would put a little R&D into their smokers.

I was in a similar situation when I bought my '06 YZ250. Very few dealers had one and no one wanted to deal. I walked away from five different dealers and was starting to get bummed.

Then, on a chance I was driving along the freeway and saw a Yamaha dealer. Gave it a chance and went inside. They had three, brand new YZ250 sitting on their showroom.

I opened my checkbook and wrote a check for the listed price (which was a few hundred less than MSRP) and told them I was only going to pay tax on top of that. They balked, and I headed for the door.

The manager caught me before I got in my truck and the deal was done.

Bottom line, there is always a dealer somewhere that will deal with you.

Freight and setup are huge cash cows for dealers. They also make money on the holdback and they sometimes get factory incentives to push different models.

Freight and setup remind me of the old "Clear coat protectant and rust proofing" that car dealers used to push. Not necessary and alway a big cash cow for the dealer.

• Like 1

Seriously, That whole freight and setup pisses me off. If I wanted to pay freight I would want it shipped to my door. And why am I paying setup when I know that as soon as I get home I have to tear the bike down and Re-set it up!

yea set up is kinda dumb. i asked the mechanic that "set it up" if it was ready to ride because i was hitting the track immediately after leaving the dealership. he said yea everything is greased, oiled and ready to go. so i ride it for a couple hours and when i got home i took the air filter cover off and the filter had a minimal amount of oil on it. i'm guessing all the other parts are also minimally lubricated.

Come on, that set up charge is totally legit. Ya know it's pretty hard to put the front wheel and handlebars on a dirt bike!! :busted:

They charge like $200 for something that takes 20 minutes and they are paying some HS kid $8/hr to do it.... :busted: