Sign in to follow this  

Thinking about getting a cr250

I have a cr125 and an rmz250. Im thinking about trading my rmz for a cr250 and then selling my cr125. Instead of racing a cr125 in the 250 class why not get a cr250. Is a cr250 a lot harder to handle than a cr125? What year cr250 is the best?

its a lot more power ( almost double) and a bit heavier but easier to lug and ride slow than a 125

Instead of racing a cr125 in the 250 class why not get a cr250.

Wise man...

Is a cr250 a lot harder to handle than a cr125?

There is significantly more power, especially lower in the rpms. So yes, the bike can get away from you if you try to ride it like a 125. But I think most people would say the 250t is overall easier to ride than the 125 because the powerband is more forgiving. You don't have to be as good in the corners to be able to clear the obstacles as you do on a 125.

What year cr250 is the best?

I'll let someone else step in this...but I think any year after 2000 would be competetitive at the amatuer level.

Height will vary depending on the year, but the 250 is not significantly taller than the 125. They're both full-size bikes.

just bought 1 my self mate a 98 model

power band is much more forgiving then a 125

after ridieng a 125 for so long teh 250 out of powerband feels like a 4 stroke you can lug around with the 2 stroke hit when you get up it

finding it a alot easyer bike to ride just need to respect the power a bit more

i only weigh 73kg so she wheel spins alot but when i sit back and give her a boot even on the loose stuff she brings the front wheel up in 4th gear

the way the powerband kicks in is very smooth

the problem im having is that now im missing my 125 cause the 250 is such much easyer to ride lol

i raced my cr250 vs my mates yz125 yesterday and we were pretty much side by side down the straight cause my back wheel just did not want to hook up

but soon as i got to 4th gear and she hooked in i would leave him for dead

The "best" CR250 is really all opinion......some years had good suspension, other had better power.

The best chassis and suspension is definatly the 2005-2007....

But in 2002-2007 Honda changed to a case reed engine, and everyone complains about it not having enough bottom end power...

Everyone raves about the 2001 engine, saying its the best...

I have owned a 1999 and now a 2006, and the handling/suspension on the 2006 is much better than the 1999, power wise it does lack a little bottom end, but it is still a great bike with plenty of power.

For local racing any year CR 250 will be good, you should look for 2000-2007 bikes and buy one that is the nicest, at the best price.

I know guys that go faster on a 125 than a 250. The more power you have the harder is can be to corner unless you have mad skills. Try cornering a CR500 with the hammer down, that will make your eyes bleed

there really arnt any differences in handling or suspension from 03 and 06.. nothing that is noticable unless you are a pro.. only difference between the 03 and 06 is that the 06 had a lot smoother powerband and very wide. Almost had no hit though.. I like my 03, and it really does not lack much bottom end for a 2 stroke.. And most people complain about the 02-07 cr250 even when they have never ridden one! they really are good bikes and are better for racing cause of the smooth power compared to older models.. so honestly all years are good, and 02-07 are just smoother which can be a nice thing for racing

yea, agree with everything above, i have a 2002 cr250 i got this year and i was on a ktm 125, i raced both and honestly the 125 was easier to "ride" but the 250 is much better to "race", just from the power, a 125 is wide open all the time while a 250 is on an off to keep things strait. your going from 36-38 hp to about 46-50 hp at most for a stock or slightly modded 250. a new ktm 250sx has 48hp stock. you can lug a 250 out of a corner, not like a 4 stroke but it will work onto the pipe unlike a 125 that wont rev up. if you get a bike and are concerned about handleing and suspension, new the better obviously, 2002 they switched to the 3rd gen frame. if you get a 2002-2004 i believe, replace the POS tmx carb right away and get a air striker, it will save you a million headaches.