Sign in to follow this  

Tib Fib Bone graft healing time ????

Hi Dr Mark,

I am 37 yo male fit and healthy, had compound Tib fib distal fracture.

12 months down track non union on Tib, so I had surgery to correct it any advise would be appreciated.

The surgeon did the following.

1, Osteomity fibula and partial healed Tib

2, remove all scar tissues

3, iliac crest bone graft

4, re set with bone graft and very expensive bone stimulant I think Op 1 or similar name.

I am concerned about the following

Healing time, future strength and function,

I am hoping the lack of trauma and soft tissue damage.

Will speed up the process, there is next to no throbbing like before and little pain given the 5 hours of surgery I endured.

Any advise specifically what like duration non weight bearing..

Scott

The Xrays are all electronic I will have to get my GP- Physician to request them from hospital,

any advice on interim ?? I'm 3 weeks post very little swelling feels good, with exception of nerve trauma.

Scott

Thanks Dr Mark,

I have some early Xrays after first surgery, the latest post bone graft etc is on CD

The Alfred Hospital one of Australias top trauma hospitals have converted to this

system. i have no problem sending what i have got but i will email you the latest Xrays

also.

Thanks again the surgeons at my hospital dont like being asked questions !

Postal address ??

Scott

Mark Sanders MD FACS

4126 Southwest Freeway Suite 1730

Houston, Texas 77027

Included your email and phone number

The x rays left Tuesday last week have they arrived yet ?

Post has never been so expensive, $115.00 Aussie dollars I hope they made it ?

Scott

Mark Sanders MD FACS

4126 Southwest Freeway Suite 1730

Houston, Texas 77027

Included your email and phone number

As above, packaged in cardboard postage tube and cardboard cd box stuck to it. Sent express 8 days ago. Should have been there for a few days at least.

This week is screwd up becaus of Thanksgiving. I will ask the receptionist to drop it by my house.

I saw the films. The job is half done. Now the external fixator should come off, and a plate applied to to the tibia.

The Xrays / films are from 10/10/2010 the day I was injured, 21/10/2010 the ex fix came of and the internal Tib plate was fitted - the surgeon waited so compound wound healed to avoid infection ! The DISK is current Current Post bone graft surgery the CT scan was the morning of the surgery to asses the extent of my non union and there is XRAY in theater? And the final last XRAY is post surgery bone graft completed !!!! I found the only films I had which were early days! I thought they may help with perspective.

All the follow up X rays were electronic so got the latest Pre-During-Post bone graft details on disk .

My question is : post bone graft healing time / success rates / my injury my age / will It be safe for me to mx again when my legs healed / risks for me in future,

37 year old male, I was expert level rider and starting to do desert races and cross country and just selected mx races.. I want to ride my family wants me to stop.

Your advice is gold...

The original films say it all ! They put a plate like you suggested !!!!!

At 12 months the surgeon cut fib, cleaned grafted and re plated Tib !!!

I just want some averages , as per previous questions !

the disk requires no special software to I opened it on my lap top at home on a HP pc !

Please.

Yesterday was Thanksgiving in the USA, so I had the family here. I had my 22 year old nephew, who is an IT guy for AT&T try for an hour on his brand spanking new laptop. He couldn't get the darn thing to open.

At this stage I would be happy with other similar examples to my injury and your overall, riding, training , further injury advice !

Statistical healing data ?

Ps: I hope you had a nice thanks giving.

Sight unseen, 95% of these fractures will heal. My patients are put on Vit D, Calcium, and strict avoidance of tobacco products.

Return to riding/racing has little to do with the ankle. It's boxed up in the boot anyway. Its all about how much "heart" a guy has.

Where I ride, I see guys who have had spinal injuries and paralysed, riding in rigged up three or four wheel machines.

I'm on vitamin D and Calcium and multi vitamin, no smoking ! My concern is further injuring my leg and the risks. My heart is fine I've raced of and on for 31 years I'm simply looking for advice...

A bit of qualified reassurance... Thanks

I just remembered. YOu can open that CD on your computer, take a pic of it with your digital phone, and email it to me, or better yet, post it on this website so we all can see it.