Sign in to follow this  

this is just a warning

i just picked up a 2012 450x and plan on converting it to a 450r overtime. only bought it for the damn green sticker. so be prepared cuz i gonna ask a ton of questions about things that may have already been covered. i apologize in advance.

good luck because they are 2 complete different bikes

any upgrades ?

from what? previous years? i dont know even where to start. think i just lost a pound ripping of the odometer and cable + the hardware holding it on. headlight next.

I just came off of a 06 R and picked up a left over 09 X. I have done the Precision Concepts stage 3 kit, smog block off, and ProCircuit exhaust. I am very happy with the results. I am with in a few HP of my R, however, the bike is just better for my riding in the desert. Like Bama said, they are totally different bikes. I would ride the bike first before doing any mods. I rode mine bone stock and I was very impressed with the overall package. After my first trip out on it, I knew where I wanted to focus my mods and more importantly my money. After everything I have done, I believe I have the perfect bike for my riding style and terrain.

I have an 2006 CRF450X.

1. The gearbox is completly different from the "R". I can bog the bike way down to just about nothing when it comes to technical riding and when I hit the power the power is there. The "R" versions need to keep the RMPs up a little more.

2. The rear wheel is smaller on the "X".

3. The drive spokets are larger on the "X" for technical riding. You will find that 1st gear is too small and 2nd gear is to large for slow tight trail.

4. The rear wheel hub on the "X" is not designed to take the punishment of track jumps although I still take mine out there. I am on my second hub.

Pros of the "X".

1. Lights for dune night rides.

2. Hill climbing is easier to control then the "R".

3. Electric starter for when you are in a tight situation and kicking it makes you release the brake.

I have an 2006 CRF450X.

1. The gearbox is completly different from the "R". I can bog the bike way down to just about nothing when it comes to technical riding and when I hit the power the power is there. The "R" versions need to keep the RMPs up a little more. Actually, it's pretty close, accept for the ratios. You can almost put an X tranny in an R, but it's easier to buy an R WR kit

2. The rear wheel is smaller on the "X". The rear rim is smaller, but the tires have a higher profile, and are smaller, the same, or taller than a 19", your choice

3. The drive spokets are larger on the "X" for technical riding. You will find that 1st gear is too small and 2nd gear is to large for slow tight trail.A 14tooth front sprocket gets you low enough and high enough for most riding

4. The rear wheel hub on the "X" is not designed to take the punishment of track jumps although I still take mine out there. I am on my second hub.

The X hub is stronger than the R hub, but the rim and spokes are cheap, and you have to let them seat by tightening them every ride for the first few rides, before flailing the thing.....

Pros of the "X".

1. Lights for dune night rides.

2. Hill climbing is easier to control then the "R".

3. Electric starter for when you are in a tight situation and kicking it makes you release the brake.

:busted:

You need a new engine and frame then. :busted:

You will never convert an x to an r. There too different.

You can make the x lighter, but not as light as an r.

You can easily exceed r power by bolting on parts and de restricting it all.

You will prob be able to answer most of your questions by searching the topic. There is a lot of info on here!

yea i just relized that, thanks. and to the otheres i know that the r is differ from the x. i worked in dealers for over 7 years. was just a figure of speach

rasta you can do quite a bit of tinkering to get an X chassis to do what you want it to do. It could be kind of like an R with the button...