Sign in to follow this  

250 finally bites the dust

Well, for those that follow my bikes, my sons 250 finally gave up tonight. After 200+ hrs of serious abuse, it finally gave out and locked up. The bad part is he was on last lap with 4 turns and 7 jumps to go, holding a strong 4th and a wheel from 3rd. he came out of a tight 180* turn right up to seat bounce the jump and in mid flight it locked.

The worst part is he accidentally took off on the first gate drop with the B riders and had the hole shot. So he immediately pulled off the track in the first turn, waited for his entire class to go by and took off in the back, he ended up passing 5 guys to get to 4th. Then this happened.

We're not complaining though. yea, it sucked that it happened when it did. but after 1 1/2 years of hard riding and racing, it held up great.

Happy, happy, joy, joy:ride: But at least it's not a 4 stroke. This will cost me about $450 vs a grand for a 4T.

I trust my builds for extensive durability. Besides it was still pushing about 195 psi of compression. I've been working on bikes for so long that I know the point of a catastrophic failure that may damage the expensive parts like a cylinder or head, but a crank locking up, with that many hours, is a normal occurance so I don't sweat it. I push my stuff to it's limits and it always seems to surprise many people as well as myself quite often. Besides, I'm a anal-retentive perfectionist on my builds that it drives everyone crazy. But it pays off. Pro circuit would probably fire me for being too perfect.

I constantly do checks and maintenance so I know exactly where the bike/car/etc is at everytime it's started up and raced. I knew it was coming soon. I heard the bottom end starting to make some noise and that started about 3 months ago. But I knew exactly what was going to happen so I just let it go.

Tonights race was just a fun race with no points, money or egos on the line. My son was just out having fun since he hasn't ridden much at all the last 2 months. It just sucked that it happened when it did. I would have been happier if he was on the practice track. He did get in all the races in his lites class and this was the 2nd moto for his open class.

I don't understand why you would outfit your son with a bike that you know would blow up. It could result in serious injury. If you know it's gonna blow - save yourself some money by at least not paying for welding when you get your cylinder re-plated. Worse yet, a broken rod or other pieces could take out your cases requiring welding or new ca$e$.

Because I knew exactly what part was gonna go. Had we been racing in a full series or AMA for LL's, that bike would have been torn down, checked, mic'd & gone through every other race.

It costs the same either way, just not as often.

Because I knew exactly what part was gonna go. Had we been racing in a full series or AMA for LL's, that bike would have been torn down, checked, mic'd & gone through every other race.

How do you know exactly what part is going to fail?

I wouldn't want to be 3 feet from the end of a big jump and have the engine lock up.

Wow. This is way worse than your KX125 maintenance.

How can you come on here talking about being a perfectionist who would get fired from Pro Circuit, then say the bike locked while your child is seat bouncing a jump on a bike that you claim to know is going to blow up?

You must REALLY see things differently than most of us on here.

NO, I knew it wasn't gonna "blow up". I KNEW the crank was on it's last leg. yes I'm a perfectionist and that's why it lasted so long. Attention to detail!!!

no one was in any danger because he knew it was there too. To say my child sounds like he's a noob. He's a very accomplished rider and has so problem handling any situation. It's not like he's a 10 year old riding his first bike.

You all can criticize or have doubts all you want. But there were a few discussions in other threads about how much time was on his 250. Anyone else here have that many hours on their bike??? But if crticism is all anyone has to offer, I guess meticulous builds, constant maintenance, using good oils like Amsoil has nothing to offer in any discussions. And for both bikes lasting well over 200 hrs of abuse, I'd say something has to be a factor.

Like the saying goes, "If it isn't broke, don't fix it"

Gauges & micrometers don't lie.

LOL. Yea knowing that my crank is going to lock up at any minute makes it ok that you had to go to the hospital because your bike locked up in the air. That makes it OK

LOL. Yea knowing that my crank is going to lock up at any minute makes it ok that you had to go to the hospital because your bike locked up in the air. That makes it OK

YEP..lol

I'd seen guys with brand new, fresh rebuilds whos bike broke within a few rides. So whether it's 200 hrs or 2 hrs, it could happen at any time. Like I said...

But if crticism is all anyone has to offer, I guess meticulous builds, constant maintenance, using good oils like Amsoil has nothing to offer in any discussions. And for both bikes lasting well over 200 hrs of abuse, I'd say something has to be a factor.

If you were as meticulous as you say you are then you would have fixed the bike when you first noticed a possible problem. Or maybe you are just trying to be recognized for the guy who ran his bike the most hours. I am a novice mechanic but if I hear an engine noise on any of my bikes the bike gets fixed, end of story.

If you were as meticulous as you say you are then you would have fixed the bike when you first noticed a possible problem. Or maybe you are just trying to be recognized for the guy who ran his bike the most hours. I am a novice mechanic but if I hear an engine noise on any of my bikes the bike gets fixed, end of story.

Agree completely.

Pro Circuit wouldn't fire you for being meticulous, they'd fire you for continuing to run an engine for 3 months after it started making noise.

You can't predict exactly what part will fail and how. Doing good rebuilds gets you only so far. When you push parts way past their intended and designed life span, you are just taking chances at that point.

You got lucky that your son didn't get hurt and got lucky that you didn't toast the cases or cylinder. That is all.

"I go 7000 miles between oil changes. It is OK because I'm meticulous when I do change the oil."

Wait til it blows, then fix it? :busted:

Ever hear the term- Preventative Maintenance?

Remind me never to go to Yap and look for a used bike. :busted:

*** is all this criticism?? Like I said in post #7, if he would have been running in a full series here or pushing for Lorettas, his bikes would be rebuilt about every other race. But this past year we did more fun riding/racing. just hitting different tacks, doing some harescrambles and having fun. It just amazes me that the bike did so well for so long. This isn't just one instance, His 125 has about the same amount of time on it and the rings were worn so bad it had 65psi of compression. and still ran pretty good. It's been apart for awhile now getting fully rebuilt from chassis to motor and powdercoating it all. Now, both bikes need all the chassis bearings from wheel to wheel. Everything is worn.

But all this critcism is great motivation. I enjoy challenges.

No worries fellas, these bikes aren't getting sold, They're lasting forever as it is.:busted:

Much of the criticism is about safety. Doesn't matter if you are trail riding or going for points, an engine locks up at the wrong time and someone could get hurt.

Of course a part could fail at any time, but you had warning (three months of warning) and decided to overlook it. I couldn't do that to myself or my kid. I also wouldn't want to take the risk of my neglect hurting someone else.