Sign in to follow this  

KX300WR or KDX250 Hybrid?

Of course I still think an uncorked and properly tuned KDX250 engine in a modern chassis would be the ultimate offroad weapon. No KX engine since has had that super-torquey low-end combined with the strong mid and decent over-rev. Even the mighty '98 KX250 didn't grunt down low like the KDX250 did, that bike would climb a tree at idle speed if you could hang on.

Quote came from here:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1002545&page=2

Members like Chokey, no1clyde, and zz3gmc could chime in here:

I've researched the KDX/KX300 or YZ300WR thing to death, I bought a 1994 KDX250 and am super impressed with the low-end grunt, what I want to know is can an Eric Gorr 300 with all bottom end porting give me the tractor chug of the KDX250? The only thing I got to compare is a test ride on a new GG EC300 which seemed pretty torquey and no hit. I ride in CO Rockies, 40 years old and a novice 2-wheel rider (grew up on ATC250Rs and Banshees). I want easy to ride, but with the power to forgive my mistakes. I don't want big hit stuff. Build a KDX250 Hybrid or build the KDX transed KX300?

I was in the same boat as you recently. no1clyde's trans swap was awesome and looked to be a very worthwhile project. So, I started looking for a suitable KX250 to put my '94 KDX250 trans into. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a good deal on one but did find something else, an '06 KX250F roller with a clear title. So, I'm going the hybrid route! I figure this would be a major upgrade from the '94 chassis in many ways...

204 lbs vs 236 lbs dry

226 lbs (234 with the same amount of fuel as KDX) vs 273 lbs wet

Showa suspension front (47mm) and rear with hi/low speed dampening

Better ergos

I figure losing roughly 30-40 lbs should make for better acceleration, handling, braking, and overall less fatigue from a long day riding. Also, I haven't ever heard of anyone doing an AF conversion for the KDX250.

That sounds sweet! Keep us updated. I'll let you know if I figure out the KX/KDX clutch swap thing.

Needless to say I love my bike. The ride I just went on I was with a friend that just bought a 2012 KTM 250 XC-W and I had my 300 with the KDX trans in it and we traded bikes on one of our rides and my bike had quite abit more power. My friend was totally surprised that he liked my bike and couldn't believe it was 11 years older than his.

I am sure Eric could make you a 300 tractor and also you could go with the LASleeve bigbore too, mine is a tractor for sure. TurboStew I see your in Colorado, I don't get over that way but if you want to meet up with me in Idaho I will take you on a awesome mountain ride and let you ride my bike next summer. I have another one that is getting the KDX trans this winter that has a EG 310 cylinder on it that you can ride too. I ride as often as I can up there. Also SS109 or any one else that wants to try mine before doing it welcome to ride my bike.

I'm sure you would love my bike as it is easy to ride and does forgive your mistakes, it doesn't have a big hit and chugs very well. I'm sure you have probably checked out my trail bike thread but if you haven't http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1005296&highlight=

Ed

Thanks so much for the info and the riding offer no1clyde, I would love ride that beast. :busted:

The scales are tipping!

what is the best years for kx250 300 tractor conversion? Years to avoid?

ya know, the yz250 with the wr400 trans has a total spread of 2.88, which is a little wider than a kdx250 trans (2.57), I like W-I-D-E..... hum blue or green?