Sign in to follow this  

Oil Cooler Protection (Damaged)

For those of us who ride quite a bit off road with the DR650 this is an area that could benefit from a good after market improvement.

I was riding down a trail the other day when I came upon a big log laying across the trail. The log was at a slight angle it was not quite perpendicular to the path. I figured "what the hell" rev it and pop the clutch and hop over like I do on my dirt bikes. We'll unfortunately the sandy trail did not help much with traction and the front tire didn't get quite high enough. I clipped the log and high sided the bike, forcing me to do a pretty damn good "Superman in flight" impersonation, so I'm told.

I ended up fine and the bike surprisingly had minimal damage. The forks were tweaked out a bit, I busted my right rearview mirror and the oil cooler guard and bumper was bent to high heaven. I've since ordered new parts (oil cooler guard and bumper) and I also did an interim repair on the old ones. I noticed while taking off the oil cooler bumper that I had a couple of spots on the cooler element with damage to the cooler fins. Oh well, I've been known on occasion to plow through the brush, absent any available trails.

My question is has anyone made a better bumper for the cooler (pics please). I'm interested in knowing if there's a radiator guard out there that can be made to fit. I've never seen any heavy duty oil cooler bumpers for sale. I have radiator guards on my water cooled bikes and I think something along those lines would be a valuable item for the DR for those who ride in the woods.

I have always wondered if Unabiker would consider making a guard for the DR650? Best of my knowledge nobody makes such a thing but I have seen many threads where people asked about it. Would be cool if a guard could be made to work in conjunction with the oem guard.

As soon as time permits I'm going to fab one up. Not sure if there are inherent air flow requirements with the oil cooler that are not as prevalent with a regular radiator. It would be nice to have a temp gauge on the oil to check the effect of a more restrictive guard under a variety of riding conditions. That way one can tweak the design until you reach a balance between resonable protection and cooling.

Any updates on this? I bent my cooler and guard... Breakaway mounts sound like the way to go.... I have an 03 and need a new oil cooler. Does any one know what years are interchangeable?

I snapped mine (along with the guard) when going down on some sand. Not even a major crash, just your typical off with the cooler digging into the ground a little

Was a pain in the ass to fix because of the angle of the mounts, not easy to get a welder in the right place. I'd be interested to see if it can be removed completely, and tap the lines directly to each other

My thoughts would be yes that can be done and it would only result in more frequent oil changes. The sump itself still holds a fair bit of oil. And the XR650R's get by with what 1100ml's?

Any updates on this? I bent my cooler and guard... Breakaway mounts sound like the way to go.... I have an 03 and need a new oil cooler. Does any one know what years are interchangeable?

No updates. I ended up buying new OE parts and haven't clipped any logs since. I'm not sure if there is much you can do to prevent crushing it under the weight of this behemoth if you ride hard and dump it right on the cooler. Heck you should see the left rad on my 02 KTM 300 EXC. I was thinking of a more protective screen to prevent the sticks from stabbing it. I know I've seen some expanded metal aluminum sheets for sale but not sure how I'd tig weld it to a frame that I could use for mounting on the cooler. Still pondering.

that may protect against some minor sticks and such but i'd bet anything big and strong enough to puncture the radiator is going to break it off. And that sort of guard isn't going to help

The actual cooler itself is mounted by 2 very thin sheets of aluminium

But I suppose snapping the mounts is not as bad as a puncture if you are out in the wilderness. A couple of zip ties or strips of bark can get you home. But you can't really substitute oil

That's exactly what I was looking for. I thought about making a solid guard but then I considered that If you beef up the guard too much you might damage the frame in the case of an impact. The guard has to protect but can't be so rigid that it damages the frame at the mounting points. The OE screen however is very thin and bends easily. I've had sticks poke the screen, bend its wire. and damage the fins on my cooler.

I just bought the oil cooler as seen on the e-bay link. After it arrived I'm having second thoughts about fitting it. It looks like it would easily cut the available airflow down to a 3rd of the original guard. I'll have to buy an oil temp gauge so I can do some side by side comparisons between the original and the new guard. The retailer claims they use these guards on their own bikes. I'm sure it'll do a good job protecting the cooling fins but I am still very skeptical about the reduced cooling capacity.Cooling is very important where I travel on the DR so any registered loss in efficiency and I'll be handing it off to someone else.

Some pics...

I placed the original guard on top of the aftermarket guard and it becomes obvious how much more restrictive it is.

8018662454_7620641fe6_z.jpg

A side by side comparison

8018660393_9dce6b9461_z.jpg

and loosely fitted to the bike., The guard is a precise fit and has a professional appearance

8018659260_a3c7ac523b_z.jpg

I'll have to buy an oil temp gauge so I can do some side by side comparisons between the original and the new guard

/facepalm

Why do people on here obsess with the temps of the DR650? it is absolutely impossible to overheat this thing without riding it through lava

not one single person on the planet has ever managed to overheat one as far as i'm concerned. The cooling capacity is hell overkill, you'll never overheat it. I've tried! i've almost redlined it for extended periods of time in extremely rough and slow conditions (think sand/clay in dense brush, stuck in ruts trying to get out) and it doesn't come even remotely close to overheating no matter how little airflow there is

Big bore KTM's & Berg's? now there's something you can look at, they run a crapload hotter than the DR650 and 'will' overheat if not moving. The DR is what pulls them out

Perhaps you are obsessed with telling other people not to worry about engine temps. After all it is not that I'm worried my engine will cook immediately with the new guard in place but I do not want to run higher temps than stock if I do not need to.. Quite frankly I don't think it would be easy to find out if there are any negative implications of running an engine at higher temps over many thousands of miles although that doesn't mean they are non existent.

It may even surprise me to find there is no difference at all in operating temps when the more restrictive guard is in place. I say this because I have had this experience while blocking off direct airflow to the radiator on my syncro van with a front mounted spare wheel. To my surprise it made no difference to running temps. A temp gauge is the only way I'll have a chance of knowing.

I apologise for being a bit rash

Though in my mind the idea of concerning ones self with heat on these bikes is like applying a band-aid to a 5 inch thick steel plate to prevent penetration.

The coolest system is honestly one of the best - if not THE best - on any air cooled single cyl bike. Many other bikes run far hotter than the DR650, with far less cooling capacity. Not to mention the already extremely bulletproof engine that can withstand enormous abuse before quitting. I doubt you would ever see heat fatigue in the cylinder block in 10 of it's lifetimes

The only bikes that do overheat are highly strung (not ours), watercooled (not ours) very lightweight (not ours) thin plated (not ours) low oil/water capacity (definately not ours) big bore engines such as KTM450/525 etc

The one and only exception is perhaps a DR790. you 'might' see some sort of effect if revving its guts out with no airflow. Even then i'd put my money on it lasting far longer than an above mentioned machine