Sign in to follow this  

Rough and stalls at low RPM

2006 DRZ 400e, no snorkel, opened exhaust, 142 main, 2 rounds on fuel screw, 4500' elevation and has been great for 2 years. Valves are in spec, and have not changed. Started with stumbling at full throttle. Started removing coast Enrich., and then put it back on. Now will not idle, runs rough and stalls at low RPM. Starts only with some throttle, seems strong with when throttled up. Have since removed the carb, and had the carb checked out by the local Yamaha tech. He found no problems, but I still have the same problem. FRUSTRATED

Well lets bypass the CE to take that out of the circuit. Connect a hose directly between the 2 nipples on the carb. Remove the nipple in the head and replace it with a 8mm bolt and copper washer (just like the other plug on the head that is for the hot start on kick start only models)

No other retuning is necessary. See if that helps any and report back.

I bypassed the CE according to your recommendations, adjusted the idle screw, and now she runs smooth at low RPM and idles fine. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and understanding. Saved the last day of riding on an excellent Moab Trip.

Thumper Talk and great guys like Nobel have proven a great resource for guys like me. Now that winter is starting to arrive in the great north, I am going to dig up the proper jetting specs and install a JD jet kit and do the Eddie Mods on the Carb. And yes as part of my attempts to restore my ride, I had removed the carb and cleaned it. All was fine, but I have found some tiny pieces of Scheiss in the bowl before. Any great suggestions for an inline fuel filter that will fit a 400e?

You may have just saved me $70.00, Are these the jetting specs for my 2006 400 E with snorkel removed, FMF Powerbomb 4, FCR 39 carb, and 5000' plus? You may have saved me a couple of hours researching. Chooken will that fuel filter fit in the small space between the petcock and carb? And no restriction?

Thanks Guys!

I'll give it a try. In the past the good old DRZ hasn't been too sensitive to elevation changes, like some that I ride with. In the winter I don't ride much, and if I do it's at a much lower elevation. Summer rides often start from my home at 4800 and end up in excess of 10,000. The DRZ has been very forgiving, and trail riding is it's main purpose.

Thanks again.

I see that UTAH has some altitude going there ....:busted:

- Highest point-Kings Peak..13,518 ft (4,120.3 m)

- Mean..6,100 ft (1,860 m)

- Lowest point..Beaver Dam Wash at Arizona border 2,180 ft (664.4 m)