Sign in to follow this  

Honda OEM Steering Damper Valving/Modifications

I picked up an OEM Honda Steering Damper not too long ago for a killer price. I am planning on diving into it and servicing it and maybe try a few things while I am at it. So I was hoping to see what kind of modifications (Oil weight, Valving, etc.) work well for these dampers.

WHEN I REVALVE IT,AFTER 50 HOURS I ONLY PUT IN 15W OIL.

depending the use,supermoto , sand , motocross , supercross or enduro.

if need stiffness on low speed the 15w work good, without change the stack

I will send you soon my tested stacks stacks... But would never go over 5wt you need good high speed damping but nearly nothing in low speed.

But if you put the HPSD on the stock triple clamps you don't need to revalve this thing to feel a noticeable difference...perhaps full in and it's goog.

I will tell you more about that soon...

WHEN I REVALVE IT,AFTER 50 HOURS I ONLY PUT IN 15W OIL.

depending the use,supermoto , sand , motocross , supercross or enduro.

if need stiffness on low speed the 15w work good, without change the stack

Since I ride primarily woods, that means that added stiffness on the low speed is desired, correct?

I know this damper is no Scotts or WER steering damper, but I figured I could probably get at least a little bit of usefulness out of it for offroad.

pourcel like the sterring locked on low speed!!! i like sterring locked on low speed it s very precision on corner, on supermoto is perfect, on cross some like it some dislike it but on wood i think is good a little stiff on low speed. with 15w all open is similar then stock all closed at low speed!! if you ride on motocross track with much hole in corner is needed stiffness on hi speed . but 15 w is stiff on hi speed a little then stock.i have try 7.5w

10w 15w is best solution for me. very cheap and fast to make it. try one and give the feedback.whats your setting on your sterring damper you ride now???

That gif up there is a perfect example of how that thing works. It pulls out away from center and collapses back towards center. You can adjust the shim stacks to make it do what you want it to do. More low on the away would make it take deflecting shots with less input into the rider, but remember, you need to over come that same movement when trying to turn the thing albeit your inputs are usually less than what the trail throws your way.