Sign in to follow this  

Crankshaft axial clearance...?

Hi,

After 60 hours on my 2011 RMZ 450 I did the first larger engine inspection. The top end (valves, cams, piston, cylinder) seems to be like new (I'm just a C - level rider...), but what was very unusual for me - there is a really large axial clearance on the crankshaft - I can move it approx. 1 mm from the left to the right (with the pressure on flywheel). I have never seen this on my previous 2 stroke bikes - so - is this normal for RMZ engine?

Thanks a lot for your replies :busted:

axial movement is ok , but up and down is bad ... check your manual it has the tolerances in it

• Like 1

I have this same problem. I don't have a manual. I have a 2008 the crank does not move axially at all. The 2011 I have will moves at least .020". This is an estimate going to put a dial indicator on it tonight to check exactly. The head is bad on the 2008 and the case has a small crack where the chain came off. So I got this 2011 motor cheap with a good head new piston and rings. Everything looks good except the crank moving. The plan was to just swap the motor. Any help would be great also does anyone have a PDF file of a manual they could email me.

Thanks

Brent

4 stroke cranks are not a press fit on the main bearings like a 2 stroke so you will get some side to side movement