2011 water pump weep hole help please!!

Ok you will see my other post where I just bought a reasonably low hour 450 and discovered a leaking water pump. So like most after feeling like the owner duped me it was still a good bike so after researching I thought its not too hard ordered the seal and set about replacing it. Took the cover off and impellar and flicked the mechanical seal out and put the new one in(made sure spring side faces me) and seated it with the right sized socket put back together started it. Let it idle, no drips gave a few revs no drips you beaty fixed... so I thought. Went to the track started it went out for a few laps came back and noticed its leaking still ...***:busted: No different than before idles no worries but rev it and out she dribbles. I dont know what to do from here I mean its a 2011 model with supposed 8 hrs or less. It drops to the first row of fins after 4-5 laps!!

What do you guy's reckon I should do? where to now?? The shaft should not be worn after a short time?? Can some one give me any advice? I have taken a few pics below to show that it is in the correct way.

mx144.jpg

mx143.jpg

It's starting to make me think wether I made a mistake getting it as I still have my big bore 250. and yes I researched but couldnt find an answer:banghead:

If the bearings on the shaft are worn, the shaft can "wobble" a bit and cause leaks. Sounds like that's your issue as it only does it when you rev it up. Either a higher hour bike than u thought, or perhaps there were some issues with the oil level and/or quality at one point? Grab the shaft and see if it wobbles?

Been down to the local Honda shop and spoke to the service manage who knows a good friend of mine. No real joy :busted: he said being a 2011 with not a lot of use it should be seal only?? He would try another seal at $30 each. He said to check the wobble in the shaft but would be surpised if it's bearing or shaft related. I cant see how I would have buggered the seal upon installation.

Any other idea's fella's

I just had the same issue with my 05 CRF and its an easy fix!

If the coolant is still leaking after you replaced the water seal, then I would recommend putting a new bearing, shaft, oil seal, and water seal and of course a new side cover gasket.

All together the parts are under $100 and you can easily do this work yourself.

If you neglect this for a long time you could end up with coolant in your trans oil which can cause a whole world of trouble. Check your trans oil to see if it looks milky.

ps. both water seal and oil seal should have the spring side facing out when installing.

Hey mate, Ive got an old 450x. I had a slight water pump leak once, turned out I was running too rich a coolant mixture - 50/50 was to much, changed to 40% coolant/ 60% water all good!

Cheers Aussie.

That makes absolutely no sense to me....why would the concentration cause a leak?? I have run all kinds of ratios with no leak, wierd..

OP: I am willing to be its your bearing, the shaft needs to be on a tight axis, if not the shaft will move causing a small gap in the seal especially when spinning faster (IE: while revving) due to centrifugal force.