Sign in to follow this  

Leaving your dirt-bike filthy!

I am very meticulous with cleaning my machine, and I do it to excess after EVERY ride. I'm not talking about spraying it with a hose or with a pressure washer... I take the bike's plastics and gas tank off and scrub the whole bike top to bottom with regular soap and rags/brushes and then use simple green and a toothbrush in the hard to reach or grimy areas. What I am wondering is, If you dont wash your bike well, or even at all regularly, will it cause more wear on the bike? Wear on certain parts? Wear on plastics, graphics, seat covers etc. Just curious and asking about peoples expierence with cleaning and NOT cleaning their bikes :busted:

I clean my bike after EVERY ride but I only remove plastics/tank if it gets really muddy. I got it pretty dirty last Monday but only gave it the quick rinse off since Im going back tomorrow for a "second coat". :busted: No doubt not washing your bike will make things wear quicker.

Where are you in NC. Im in the Goldsboro/Kenly area if you ever want to ride.

I clean my bike after EVERY ride but I only remove plastics/tank if it gets really muddy. I got it pretty dirty last Monday but only gave it the quick rinse off since Im going back tomorrow for a "second coat". :busted: No doubt not washing your bike will make things wear quicker.

Where are you in NC. Im in the Goldsboro/Kenly area if you ever want to ride.

Unfortunatly I live in Asheville, about 5 hours away :busted:

You might scrub off all the paint with all that cleaning! Just like a good layer of plack on your teeth protect your enamel. Thats the reason that I only brush my teeth on the 3rd monday of every month. :lol: Just joking I brush my teeth 2 mondays a month! :busted:

I wash my bike if I ride in mud every time and wash it real good (I dont go as far as you do). I spray it off with a hose without soap if I rode and it was dusty. When I have to take the tank and plastic off for maintainance I do my cleaning of those areas then. I do however clean the chain almost every ride and relube because grim sticks to the lube and I hate that. I also clean my back rim almost every ride cause the chain lube slings off and grime stick to it. I have seen bikes that are hardly ever cleaned and they are much harder to get clean because of crud build up. Dirt and grime are abraisive so I think parts and finish should last longer when cleaned regularly. I just wouldnt use to coarse a brush on plastic parts like fenders and tank and such.

Keep up the good work not many people take care of there stuff like you anymore. A plus to your laybor too is when you get ready to sell your bike it will bring more and sell faster than billy joe jim bobs bike with mud and backer juice all over it. :bonk: hard and fast my friend! :busted:

Edited by Beaver5
Cause I not only type like a chicken I spell like one too.

i dont wash my bikes too often and ive never had a problem with premature wear on parts due to a little dirt, yes if you leave alot dirt and mud in your radiator or cooling fins and all over your motor it will trap the heat and cause parts to wear faster but just a bit of mud speckled here and there isnt going to do anything but show that i ride my bike more than i wash it.

yes if i get it really muddy i will power wash it but if its just a light mud then im not too worried about it.

I wash my race bikes meticulously after every time I ride them, but my practice bike pretty much only gets washed before I do work on it. I haven't noticed any difference in parts wearing out. I get about the same number of hours out of chains, sprockets, chain sliders, and typical wear parts. The bikes that get washed more often do need the bearings cleaned and packed with grease more often though.

I think the meticulous cleaning thing is a bit over the top myself. I guess for a blingy MX show queen, or if it's one of those Zen relaxation routines a person enjoys, then it's ok.

But for an aveage woods bike like mine, I stop at the car wash on the way home. Plastic gets scratched up in branch scrapes and crashes, as do the graphics, so cleaning past a hose down doesn't help. Seat covers get ripped, pipes get smashed, etc..

The main benefit of cleaning the bike for me is to look for potential trouble. Loose, cracked, or otherwise wearing items that could leave me stranded several miles from the truck. I put my efforts into the mechanical end, and don't stress the cosmetic factors.

Gonna ruin all that meticulous cleaning within 100 feet from the trail head next weekend anyway. :busted:

It`s a freaking DIRTBIKE<<<<<<.....I am with the hill billy,more time tightening and taking care of da bidness end!

washing your bike with bike cleaner or degreaser after every ride is just for show queens.

if you are doing work on the bike that is one thing but just an air filter and oil change i usually skip the wash.

all that washing is just like riding your bike in water. water is getting where it doesn't need to.

I clean mine when I think it needs it.. Mine aint filthy right now, but it aint squeeky clean either..

I ride my bike around my property alot, so I just take a garden hose to it to knock off the big stuff. If it was always sparkly clean, I might be more hesitant to take it on a quick 30 minute joy ride after work to blow off steam.

Before maintenance, and before I plan to take it on a long ride I wash it thoroughly, and check for any loose bolts, damage, ect... I think the mud and grime build up on bikes is more damaging to all the rubber parts, hoses, ect... It will cause them to rot out faster.

Hey fellas, I know this is totally unrelated, sorry, but i'm new to thumper talk, and I can not figure out how to post a new thread! Could someone please give me a quick how-to?

Also, I clean my bike every 2nd or 3rd ride, and I only use water on the plastics, I use a slightly oily dry rag on anything metal. ( except exhaust)

Hey fellas, I know this is totally unrelated, sorry, but i'm new to thumper talk, and I can not figure out how to post a new thread! Could someone please give me a quick how-to?

Also, I clean my bike every 2nd or 3rd ride, and I only use water on the plastics, I use a slightly oily dry rag on anything metal. ( except exhaust)

Just go to the oppropriate forum that you want to start a thread in and click on the "New Thread" tab at the far left middle of the page and start typing. Welcom to TT by the way!! :busted:

Just go to the oppropriate forum that you want to start a thread in and click on the "New Thread" tab at the far left middle of the page and start typing. Welcom to TT by the way!! :busted:

Thanks man!

I try to always scrub my bike squeaky clean after every ride, BUT occasionally we ride on sundays until dark, then i have to put my bike away dirty, and go home and get ready for work (if im traveling).

Then i end up with a dirty bike in the garage for a week or two, and it just KILLS ME knowing that its sitting in there dirty, and i cant clean it.

It also seems a lot harder to get clean when the dirt sits on it.

I have a woods bike, it gets beat on. If I worried about it looking beautiful I would spend a fortune in graphics, plastics, pipes, rims, etc. I also ride alot, 3-5 days a week during main riding season. I already spend a HUGE amount of time in maintenance, race my bike as well as upkeep wife, sons and my other bike. So to me, if it's really muddy she gets hosed down and cleaned, maybe a WD40 spraydown. Dry and dusty, she gets parked. Cleaning for me is more about going over the bike, and keeping it clean enough to work on. Also the more water you put on it, cleaning it, the more often you are repacking bearings, which already is a few times a season for me.

Thing is, soon as you put that beautiful garage queen in the mud, it looks just like any other bike out there :busted:

My bike gets hosed off when I get home and then it goes on the stand in the garage and the chain gets some lube. Sometimes I ride 2 or 3 times in a week. I guess it's cool having a mega clean bike in your garage but after 1 lap on the track it's dirty again anyways.

I have a woods bike, it gets beat on. If I worried about it looking beautiful I would spend a fortune in graphics, plastics, pipes, rims, etc. I also ride alot, 3-5 days a week during main riding season. I already spend a HUGE amount of time in maintenance, race my bike as well as upkeep wife, sons and my other bike. So to me, if it's really muddy she gets hosed down and cleaned, maybe a WD40 spraydown. Dry and dusty, she gets parked. Cleaning for me is more about going over the bike, and keeping it clean enough to work on. Also the more water you put on it, cleaning it, the more often you are repacking bearings, which already is a few times a season for me.

Thing is, soon as you put that beautiful garage queen in the mud, it looks just like any other bike out there :busted:

Very true! If someone were to try and keep a dirt bike looking very close to cosmetically perfect it WOULD cost them a fortune in plastic and graphics alone. Especially if they are more into recreational trail riding or woods racing. Even though I do try to keep my bikes looking as clean as possible, I have learned to forget about replacing plastics and graphics often because they usually look pretty rough after a few hours of riding gnarly trails. When they are new or fairly close to being new I just take a lot of good pictures of them and then go trash them. :busted: