New WR450

Friday I drove 500 miles round trip to pick up my new 2011 WR450.

I traded my 03 WR250 that I bought new on it. 8 seasons on that bike and the only thing I had to actually fix on it was fork seals in 2006 (besides the free mods and jetting).

Saturday I took the WR450 to Haspin Acres for break in, bone stock.

Today is clean up and oil change.

The AIS kit, jets, handguards, and new muffler insert can't get here soon enough!

PB120004.jpg

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Friday I drove 500 miles round trip to pick up my new 2011 WR450.

I traded my 03 WR250 that I bought new on it. 8 seasons on that bike and the only thing I had to actually fix on it was fork seals in 2006 (besides the free mods and jetting).

Saturday I took the WR450 to Haspin Acres for break in, bone stock.

Today is clean up and oil change.

The AIS kit, jets, handguards, and new muffler insert can't get here soon enough!

PB120004.jpg

I am actually looking at selling my 09 fofiddy yami(my desert racing bike) and buying a wr450.Have been reading up on those and really have not heard from anybody that has owned one.YOUR THOUGHTS?

I am actually looking at selling my 09 fofiddy yami(my desert racing bike) and buying a wr450.Have been reading up on those and really have not heard from anybody that has owned one.YOUR THOUGHTS?

I'll let you know when I get it uncorked, and set up for my weight.

I'm glad I got my leftover 09, personally. Rejetting, raising the forks 10mm in the clamps, and putting a good front tire on it made it handle like my YZ250, and run smooth and strong. Plus, I got mine plated by the dealership, out the door for $5600. I dont see anyone getting a deal like that on a '12.

I couldn't have gotten the deal on a '12 like I got on this '11. Call me weird, but I went for this one because it didn't have FI. I had my last bike for 8 years and expect to have this one at least that long. I'm sure the FI is great for many reasons (I love the FI on my street bikes). Was just a little concerned about long term reliability in a dirt bike environment, $400 fuel pumps and all. I'm not an "A" rider anyways, so I wouldn't likely see all the benefits. At my age I'm starting to slow down a bit and don't heal as fast as you young bucks, however I still like to twist the grip a bit.

Edited by YamaJet
z

Got it uncorked yesterday, AIS, Jets, muffler insert, throttle stop, adjusted the rear spring while the sub-frame was off. Huge difference, tore the crap out of my yard. Left the gray wire connected for now, may put a switch on it.

Handguards go on today.

Got it uncorked yesterday, AIS, Jets, muffler insert, throttle stop, adjusted the rear spring while the sub-frame was off. Huge difference, tore the crap out of my yard. Left the gray wire connected for now, may put a switch on it.

Handguards go on today.

Great to hear! I was amazed at the difference as well! I always tell guys to ride they're new WR's in stock form at least once before doing the mods so that they can appreciate the improvement in performance!

Took bike on 2nd trip to Haspin Acres yesterday. 1st trip was still corked and was plauged with hanging idle. This trip was uncorked with the AIS kit, muffler insert, hand guards, and adjusted rear spring. I used a 168 MJ and a 48 pilot instead of the ones that came with the kit. Got the fuel screw adjusted. Bike runs great. What a blast, doesn't flame out, chugs right of of idle, raises front wheel over obstacles with the flick of the wrist, no bog.

The one thing I'm noticing when cold, bike starts easier when kicking vs. using electric start. After sitting overnight, if I try to start using e-start, it will crank endlessly and pop once in a while. To the extent I flooded it the other night and changed the plug. When its warm, there are no problems. Last two cold starts, I have started it with the kick start. 2-3 kicks and its running. I didn't use the e-start all day yesterday. It almost seems that while cranking the starter pulls the battery voltage down far enough that there isn't enough power to fire the coil.

Anybody else notice this??

I can certainly live with it because it starts so easy with the kick.

Yamajet, Your not crazy, just wise. I too, am going to wait as long as possible before going to FI on a dirtbike. Carb's don't break. In the dirtbiking realm, simple is better, for me anyhow. As for your starting issues, this is pretty much normal. They almost always start easier/quicker using the kickstart lever. The stock battery doesn't have alot of extra cranking amps to fire rapidly like those new Lithium Ion batteries do. Also, there is a wire in the starting circuit that keeps the sparkplug from firing until after one complete engine revolution. There is some debate on if this is to help eliviate starter failures that was most common with the '03 WR. I've removed mine, and it fires at each TDC as opposed to after the first TDC, and I've had no issues to date. Maybe your pilot jet/air screw needs a little fine tuning? How many turns out is the air screw? Maniac

Yamajet, Your not crazy, just wise. I too, am going to wait as long as possible before going to FI on a dirtbike. Carb's don't break. In the dirtbiking realm, simple is better, for me anyhow. As for your starting issues, this is pretty much normal. They almost always start easier/quicker using the kickstart lever. The stock battery doesn't have alot of extra cranking amps to fire rapidly like those new Lithium Ion batteries do. Also, there is a wire in the starting circuit that keeps the sparkplug from firing until after one complete engine revolution. There is some debate on if this is to help eliviate starter failures that was most common with the '03 WR. I've removed mine, and it fires at each TDC as opposed to after the first TDC, and I've had no issues to date. Maybe your pilot jet/air screw needs a little fine tuning? How many turns out is the air screw? Maniac

With the 48 pilot I think I'm somewhere between 3/4 and 1 turn out. I think I might be just a hair on the lean side. It runs great right now, no decel poping. Yesterday after clean up from the trip, It fired first kick from sitting over night. I'm definately OK with that. What a bike!!!

I would think that if your only out 3/4 to 1 turn on your air screw, that means the pilot jet is a little to large. Or am I wrong? I also think that it isn't your issue anyhow. I believe it just needs to be "broken in", and then you won't have anymore starting issues. Maniac

It could be too large. It runs great now, but I may have to try the next size down next summer when it warms up.

• 1 month later...

So guys I am really glad to see this thread. I am looking at getting rid of my 08 KTM 450 EXC-R next week and i am thinking of getting the 11 WR450. Looks like the dealer is willing to make me a deal for just under 6 for it. I have had several issues with my KTM I bought from them and so he is wanting to get me into something for a great deal. My son rides an 06 WR450 and the thing has been perfect. I really thought this was the direction I wanted to go but of course wanted some reassurance and wanted to see that no one was having any big issues with theirs. If anyone has anything to say that I might need to watch out for please chime in.

So YamaJet, I know it has not been very long since you got yours but are you still as happy with it as you expected to be?