Sign in to follow this  

2012 piston in a 2010

would a oem 2012 piston fit directly into my 2010 yz250f? coz the new piston helps the top end a little doesnt it? so next time i rebuild i was thinking i could put a 2012 piston in. would it work? what about with 2010 rings

To my knowledge the piston was not changed between those years.

The 2012 YZ had a lighter piston, with thinner rings for less friction. but the 2012 also had a lighter rotating assembly to make for less rotating mass there for creating a more broad and robust high rpm power band. Don't quote me on this, but i don't think the motor has really changed in a long time.

I think the 2012 has more top end because it went to a bigger carb. Don't think you're going to get much out of just the 2012 piston. Maybe if you're a pro racer and need every little single trick to make yourself just a little bit faster but just your average rider/racer prolly won't notice that much of a difference.

the 2010 and up engine is totally different than previous years.i dont know if the 12 piston will work.i would get a gyrt,or a cp 14 to 1 if you are looking for a bit more umph.the 10 and 11 models came with a 13.75 to 1 comp piston.with the 12 having a diff crank and piston,i dont know what to tell you about fitment to the older engine.i would need to have them side by side and take some measurements to give you a correct answer.one thing to consider is that a performance piston will need to be replaced sooner than the oem unit.

i just thought a 12 oem would last longer than a hi-comp or any thing like that. if it doesnt fit then ill just stick to oem

OEM piston are made by the same aftermarket companies people don't like. If you feel OEM quality is the best then find out who makes the OEM piston and buy a higher compression one. May need better fuel if you go this route.

OEM piston are made by the same aftermarket companies people don't like. .

Are you sure about that? I don't know, but it seems unlikely.

•New optimized engine pumps out more power in the 8,000 to 12,000 rpm range with outstanding throttle response, thanks to new crankshaft webs, new vibration-reducing counterbalancer, new connecting rod, and low-friction piston rings, as well as a new piston, piston pin, and clip assembly that’s over 8% lighter overall than before. To take full advantage of these advancements

This is a bit long winded but should answer your question, i've owned 4 yz250f's from 09-11.

A 2012 piston in a 2010 will definitely fit. I just bought a Coswoth piston for my 2011 and the packaging states 09-12. The motor is the same though changes to the internals have been made to effect the spread of power. If you want more top end like the 2012 you'll need to buy a 2012.

But the best you could do with your 2010 that i would suggest stick with stock compression or less. The extra forces internally in the compression chamber that high compressions use to make HP effect top end performance. The better after market companies as Pro Circuit, Cosworth, JE, there pistons are lighter than oem and usually are a single compression ring type rather than twin like oem, this will help top end and throttle response. Your best bet is cams or ignition. I haven't tried cams on any of my previous yz's either 09,s and my 10 or 11, but i did install a tokyo mods tuned vortex ignition x10 on the 09's and the bike's didn't stop revving. On my 10 and 11 bikes i installed the vortex x10 (cause the plugs change from 09 to 10 dammit) I found the top end defiantly has strengthened but no where near the 09's. It seems the internal the factory changed makes all the difference.

i dont like the the hi-comp piston and the extra pressure they put on the crank. im happy to stick with the 2010 piston but just thought the 2012might add a little top end

Are you sure about that? I don't know, but it seems unlikely.

Going by my memory, KTM uses JE piston. Husky uses Athens for the 310 motor and I belive these are JE as well. PC doesn't make thier own piston and I would not have a wisco in anything I own. None of the OEM makes thier own pistons, they buy them from somewhere. Crower Pistons and cam are very good.

alright. ill probs just put a 2010 in. what pistons are you guys running? whats your experiance with other pistons?

i would think the compression ratio would be differant from what ive read, i would just stick to the '10 model, better than trying it and have something go wrong, big engine failure can cost you alot, expensive experiment,

as for pistons, ive heard alot of great reviews about wiseco, they are quality pistons, and for a reasonable price

ok but also heard alot of bad reviews about wiseco. probs just go genuine 2010

Those bad reviews come from people most of the time who have no idea how to properly warm a motor up. A forged piston in a motor designed for cast piston's tollerances will need more time to warm up and for all materials to come up to operating temp. Unfortunately though, people seem to have it in their mind that they can start their bike and start reving it within a minute and not expect something to happen.

Without a doubt wiseco pistons are better than oem, as long as you understand how to warm up a motor.

I've used Wiseco forged Pistons in my 2007 YZ250F since 2008. I'm always very impressed with how they look when I've got the top end apart. Never any significant wear. Engine always runs great.

I always properly warm the engine, and never put a heavy load on the engine in the first minute of riding. Forged Piston or not!