Sign in to follow this  

KX100 vs KDX200 for trails

Hello I'm 16, 5'9 and 150 Pounds, I'm mildly eperinced with both small and big bikes.

You're probabley thinking these are two completely different bikes that should really depend my opinion but I've been argueing with my parents about getting a KDX200 in which I rode one and I felt moderately comfortable and power and I knew this was power I could wind out in my trails but my parents think its too big both the size and power.

They keep saying that a KX/RM100 woul be a better trail bike because its smaller and also has bottom end torque, obviusly it wont have nearly as much as the 200 but my parents keep they saying "You'll enjoy the 100 better because its smaller and lighter" But I don't won't a bike thats going stall trying lol "Attempting" to torque up a hill but what exactly do you think about this?? could a 100 actually be a good trail bike or are they trying to use me?

I somehow went through the same thing. Im 15 and 5'6 and 120lbs and i LOVE my KDX 200 in the trails. It has an amazing amount of torque for hills and can get up to speed very quickly. The KX 100 is a great little bike with good power and torque but will deffinatly be way too small for you but hey, some people like small rides. In the end, its a personal opinion but if I were you, I would deffinatly go with the KDX 200!

At your size and weight, I think the KDX would be a better buy, and certainly a more trail capable machine.

They keep saying that a KX/RM100 woul be a better trail bike because its smaller and also has bottom end torque, obviusly it wont have nearly as much as the 200 but my parents keep they saying "You'll enjoy the 100 better because its smaller and lighter"

And I would venture a guess that there's another (unspoken) word rambling around in your (non riding?) parents' thought process.. safer

People who don't ride many times come to the assumption that "smaller is safer". Tell them you are also more likely to get hurt trying to manage a peaky MX bike in the woods, than you would a mellow trail oriented bike like a KDX200. And rest easy knowing that this is actually the truth and a very valid argument.

Little bikes with small wheels don't handle as well either. And take into consideration that those smaller bikes have suspension set up for 120 pound riders at the most. The KDX will be a much safer handling machine with it's full sized wheels and adult sized suspension.

I think your tall enough to handle the KDX now, and you'll be happy with it now and for years to come.

Your too big for a kx 100. The KDX is not only a better fit it's also better controlled power. The power valve opens slower and at a earlier or slower rpm... As a long time rider and racer I'd never put my kids on a small bike...thats when they'll get hurt.... again

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm thinking this can be of you use in neggotiating with my parents but I'll see how far this will go. *Crossing Fingers for KDX* :busted:

And I would venture a guess that there's another (unspoken) word rambling around in your (non riding?) parents' thought process.. safer

People who don't ride many times come to the assumption that "smaller is safer". Tell them you are also more likely to get hurt trying to manage a peaky MX bike in the woods, than you would a mellow trail oriented bike like a KDX200. And rest easy knowing that this is actually the truth and a very valid argument.

I'm aware of that, but my parents have ridden bikes before but I think they're kinda whimps to be honest, we had a YZ125 (Bored to a 144) and they keep acting like it was death on wheels, that it was impossible to startup and will mostcertainly "Kill me" which I kept saying if you want to ride a deathmachine, get on a CR/KX500 or a YZ490. Idk my parents have been like that forever. they're not like me.. I crave power while they perfer safety :busted:

now that you got your bike figured out,...now its your parents turn to find a new helicopter......:busted:

I was in a similar spot but not with my parents, with myself... I was new to riding (oh yeah im 16 at 5'4") and wasnt sure whether I wanted a crf150r or a crf250x, well I got the 250x(similar to the kdx200) over the crf150r(similar to the kx100). Let me be the first to say that its a great bike, I know people that say the kdx200 isnt as fast as my 250x, and my 250x is very managable if youve ridden a bit.