Sign in to follow this  

time to rebuild bottom end??

Hello, Its getting to be the time of year to tear the top end off and do a rebuild. I am curious to how one would know if a bottom end rebuild is in order also? What are some signs to look for? Its a 08 200xc with around 120 hours on it.

When you pull the cylinder... pull up (hard) on the rod to see if there is any up & down movement. There will be side to side but should not be any upward. My 2000 30 had about 750 hours and was still tight on the bottom end

Done that rod movement check and sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. It all comes down to "do you feel lucky?" Do you use a good quality oil, do you do the 50-100 to 1 mix some people use, do you ride like the Ryans, or a 56 year old slow guy like me? How often do you clean your air filter? any signs of dirt in the cylinder?

Answer these and the thousand other questions and we still won't know how long the bottom end will last.

Done that rod movement check and sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. It all comes down to "do you feel lucky?" Do you use a good quality oil, do you do the 50-100 to 1 mix some people use, do you ride like the Ryans, or a 56 year old slow guy like me? How often do you clean your air filter? any signs of dirt in the cylinder?

Answer these and the thousand other questions and we still won't know how long the bottom end will last.

I run 50/1 amsoil and use full synthetic in the case. Changed every other ride. I dont ride it like I stole the whole time but im not to slow either, rarely on the pipe. Air filter is always cleaned after every ride. I really do take great care of the bike, I just figured while it was down I would see if it need it, I was just not sure what to look for or the average amount of hours before a bottom end is required. I will try the pull up on the connecting rod trick when I tear off the top end. Thanks for the tips!:busted: