Sign in to follow this  

Annoying Eco-crazies!

I drive a 3/4 ton tuck that is slightly lifted with slightly larger tires its 4x4 with a 390 that has been stroked to a 410. It is a powerful work truck and for some reason every time I drive it to use it for work or to take my bike out riding some moron has to tell me how I don't need a truck that huge. Yes I do I do, the lift might be excessive, but I don't feel like getting stuck, sorry. They act like my truck is single-handedly punching holes in the ozone layer and running over every deer in the state. I am one of the few people around here who actually uses a lifted 4x4 for its intended purpose, hauling stuff off road. They also think I'm somehow stupid for driving something that gets 7-8mpg, it's engine is about 4 times as powerful as the one in your civic so be quiet already, I can pull your house down:p (I did tear a mobile home apart with it once). Not to mention their the ones pushing to close all our riding areas. These people act all smug in their little hybrids and it is really getting annoying, I'd really like to run one over, but then it might get caught on the axle, which would be messy. Any one else getting annoyed with these people?

While reading your post, I assumed you lived in California. I drive an F350 diesel crew-cab long bed. I was planning to pull a 5th wheel when I bought it. Then the economy crashed and my wife lost her job. (so no 5th wheel)

What'cha gotta do is put some "hyper-masculin" company name on the side of your truck. Then people might get the idea that it's a work truck.

Bob's demolition and beer catering service. And I live in Indiana right now, I actually got the most flack when I lived in Washington, but even out here being a college town some people just don't seem to get it.

Pretty awesome you got a truck that long up that. I mostly use mine for construction, and random odd jobs. To bad I couldn't get any to film me pulling the roof of a mobile home. It was an old 70's one for scrap and we spent most of the day trying to gut the stupid house and we finally said screw it and I put a chain though the door and out one of the windows on the same side and tore the wall off that rotted piece of junk. It looked about like this

The rest was a cake walk from there. And with a truck like mine someone is always going to be pissed off at me I'd rather have it be MADD than the Eco-terrorists with there reputation of torching things.

Good thing we don't live a life of needs.

Were the people talking to wearing burlap sacks? Did they have hides on their feet for shoes? Were they eating nothing but oatmeal and animal protein? Were they walking or have vehicles?

Because, unless somebody is walking around, dirty as all hell. Skinny as fawk, smells like shit and not using any natural resources, then they're using more than they need and can STFU.

Good thing we don't live a life of needs.

Were the people talking to wearing burlap sacks? Did they have hides on their feet for shoes? Were they eating nothing but oatmeal and animal protein? Were they walking or have vehicles?

Because, unless somebody is walking around, dirty as all hell. Skinny as fawk, smells like shit and not using any natural resources, then they're using more than they need and can STFU.

Most likely they have an iPhone built by a company that forces its customers to replace their products before they even show a sign of wear because of a lack of retrocompatibility, and built in factories where kids are treated like cattle and commit suicide because it's their only way out of there.

Now what's worse for humanity?

OK, here you go. Works with people driving a new hybrid anyway. You can tell them you are not harming the environment as much as they are. I hate the folks driving the new hybrids saying they are saving the planet. If their goal is really to save the planet, they should be driving a $3000 used honda accord that gets 30mpg. If you buy a new hybrid for $25,000-$30,000 that gets 45-50mpg, with gas near $4.00 per gal, you have to drive it about 750,000 miles to recoup the cost of the vehicle and the "cost" of the resources to build that vehicle compared to the used honda that already has the resources accounted for (raw materials, labor, shipping costs, etc).

OK, here you go. Works with people driving a new hybrid anyway. You can tell them you are not harming the environment as much as they are. I hate the folks driving the new hybrids saying they are saving the planet. If their goal is really to save the planet, they should be driving a $3000 used honda accord that gets 30mpg. If you buy a new hybrid for $25,000-$30,000 that gets 45-50mpg, with gas near $4.00 per gal, you have to drive it about 750,000 miles to recoup the cost of the vehicle and the "cost" of the resources to build that vehicle compared to the used honda that already has the resources accounted for (raw materials, labor, shipping costs, etc).

I did some math on this one and it takes 200,000 miles of driving my truck before my emissions brake even with just greenhouse gasses caused by making a Prius. Just another reason cash for clunkers was a giant pile of horse-s**t.

I dont hit deer, I drive over them. I am saving the environement by not having to replace fenders and other parts.

They also think I'm somehow stupid for driving something that gets 7-8mpg,

I think it's stupid too, but it's your money, so I don't really care, as long as you don't whine (like some tt-ers) when gas prices go up.

:busted:

At any rate, you start think up a list of clever or annoying things to say to busybodies who care what you do with your money.

"I need it to get my tractor to the mud pulls"

"I live in this thing, you dang one-percenter"

"If I get a new care, they'll stop my welfare checks"

"I can't drive small cars. I always wreck them when I'm drunk"

etc...

I have a perfectly normal Oldsmobile that gets about 25 mpg for regular driving and the truck for doing truck things. The truck makes roughly a mountain of torque and it will tow what ever I need to, so the 8mpg highway is livable. It sure beats the heck out of using logs and slaves to move things.

My favorite one was:

Hipster "thats not green"

Me "No, its black, but it does have some moss growing on it" <= in the bed after it sat for 6 months

I did some math on this one and it takes 200,000 miles of driving my truck before my emissions brake even with just greenhouse gasses caused by making a Prius. Just another reason cash for clunkers was a giant pile of horse-s**t.

Not really --- it got a bunch of ugly, dumpy vehicles off the street that i don't want to look at.

Its sad if it got a few nice pickups and things like that (which it did)--- but it got tons more old Toronados, Caprices, pontiacs and other smoke belching pieces of crap out of there too

Concerning your truck -- IDK -- is it ugly? People react different to ugly trucks than they do to pretty trucks i guess (when i say people, i mean the general unwashed masses who aren't truck enthusiasts)

I have a vintage truck that is nearly as bad an offender on gas as yours is and it gets mostly compliments.

Since your in Indiana - i would figure the populace there would realize that the farm equipment used around there burns up more diesel in 2 weeks than your truck does in 2 years.

Since you drive a car for a DD anyway --- its your business if you want to drive a gas pig on weekends and nobody else's ---- but if its something you make a living with at your job, then its stupid to have such an inefficient vehicle --It costs a ton of money to keep it rolling

Not really --- it got a bunch of ugly, dumpy vehicles off the street that i don't want to look at.

Its sad if it got a few nice pickups and things like that (which it did)--- but it got tons more old Toronados, Caprices, pontiacs and other smoke belching pieces of crap out of there too

I used to be a dealer tech, and still have many friends in the trade.

They said over half of the vehicles that came in under "clunkers" were anything but. 25% were merely neglected (needed some simple maintenance and TLC) while only 25% were truly rat traps.

Which makes sense, since most folks who are riding around in a giant turd on wheels, aren't going to be able to suddenly afford a brand new car.

In fact, this is backed up by the more than double repo rate of clunkers customers vs non-clunkers customers.

All cash for clunkers amounted to was a payoff to union halls for their votes, along with driving the used car market prices up even higher.

I used to be a dealer tech, and still have many friends in the trade.

They said over half of the vehicles that came in under "clunkers" were anything but. 25% were merely neglected (needed some simple maintenance and TLC) while only 25% were truly rat traps.

Which makes sense, since most folks who are riding around in a giant turd on wheels, aren't going to be able to suddenly afford a brand new car.

In fact, this is backed up by the more than double repo rate of clunkers customers vs non-clunkers customers.

You likely have a much better perspective than i do CH ---- i am just basing my opinion off one dealership that had some real choice pieces of garbage -- (but also a couple decent pickups from the late 80's/early 90's)

To be fair though, i dont like most domestic cars from the 80's until the early 2000's with a few exceptions, so i dont cry one bit if a low mileage '94 LESabre or '89 Bonneville gets filled with engine block compound and sent to the crusher .

But OTOH - just because i dont like something doesn't mean that vehicles like that can't provide good economical service to a young couple with kids, or to someone who is trying to save money for whatever reason -- so i need to lighten up a bit

You made a good point about the repo's too --- suddenly Joe or Jane Six-Pack now has a car payment they didn't have before and weren't really prepared for

You likely have a much better perspective than i do CH ---- i am just basing my opinion off one dealership that had some real choice pieces of garbage -- (but also a couple decent pickups from the late 80's/early 90's)

To be fair though, i dont like most domestic cars from the 80's until the early 2000's with a few exceptions, so i dont cry one bit if a low mileage '94 LESabre or '89 Bonneville gets filled with engine block compound and sent to the crusher .

But OTOH - just because i dont like something doesn't mean that vehicles like that can't provide good economical service to a young couple with kids, or to someone who is trying to save money for whatever reason -- so i need to lighten up a bit

You made a good point about the repo's too --- suddenly Joe or Jane Six-Pack now has a car payment they didn't have before and weren't really prepared for

Those Bonnevilles with the 3800 were great commuter cars, I know of several that are still in use with over 250k and no oil consumption. The rest of the car is rotting apart (thank you MNDOT), but they run like a swiss watch.

One other thing I noticed, it really drove up the used car prices (supply and demand).

Regardless of whether you want to look at them or not, I don't know why MY tax dollars should have gone into this program. I surely do not care whether I see them or not.

I have ******* prius drivers race around me at 90-100 mph then cut me off and do 50-55 in the fast lane. It got annoying to the point where I have a sticker on the front of my truck right about dead center for the rear view mirror that says F you you F'ing ****. Best time is when they're going to the same place I am. It's fun to **** with them in the parking lot.

I have ******* prius drivers race around me at 90-100 mph then cut me off and do 50-55 in the fast lane. It got annoying to the point where I have a sticker on the front of my truck right about dead center for the rear view mirror that says F you you F'ing ****. Best time is when they're going to the same place I am. It's fun to **** with them in the parking lot.

My advice-HERD bumper.

Nuff said.