Sign in to follow this  

New 250 SX Owner

I've been on yamahas for my entire weekend warrior career, but now i've decided to go orange. this bike was almost impossible to find i'm surprised i even got one. i called some dealers and they had a waiting list until 2013.

Do these bikes have any known issues? I'm hoping to keep this thing for a long time and i'm pretty anal about maintenance. ( air filter, oil changes, greasing bearings etc)

ktm005.jpg

ktm004.jpg

I have about 9 hr on mine so far the only thing that went bad here was the right front fork seal.

I have been riding for over 20+ years and never had a seal go on me.

But I love the bike great power and fun to ride I got rid of my 2011 crf 450r or this bike and am glad I did.

I took the bike in last week to get new springs for it I run about 205lbs and that was a needed fix for me.

When I got it I took it all down and did a grease job to it and just a once over to make sure all was good.

Good luck with you new ride.

just make dang well sure you seat the air filter properly every time you install it.

this 08 is much more difficult than my 05 was. PITA!

just make dang well sure you seat the air filter properly every time you install it.

this 08 is much more difficult than my 05 was. PITA!

yea that air filter is pretty tricky, it took me a couple tries to get it seated properly

same issue

my 2010 150sx filter is bit more tricky than my 06 450sx...

just use your fingers to go around it, make sure is seated properly.

Nothing to worry about in particular, but do check tightness of various fasteners. Every bike seems to have certain different things come loose. Also, since you are new to KTM, make sure you explore the PV adjustments. It is an awesome feature if you ride under different conditions.

I also sold my CRF450 and got a rare 2011 SX250. I need to have the suspension resprung for my light weight, but I LOVE the power!

I put the agressive (red) powervalve spring in and experimented with the powervalve preload. It does make a huge difference.

I grew up riding 2-strokes, but rode thumpers for the last 7 years. I'm amazed that a smoker could have such (relatively) broad and tractable power.

And the brakes and clutch are the best I've ever experienced on a dirbike.

One problem I'm having is that it's a taller bike than my others, and since there is no linkage, I'm looking for a way to lower it. (I already bought the KTM optional low seat). Any suggestions?

I also sold my CRF450 and got a rare 2011 SX250. I need to have the suspension resprung for my light weight, but I LOVE the power!

I put the agressive (red) powervalve spring in and experimented with the powervalve preload. It does make a huge difference.

I grew up riding 2-strokes, but rode thumpers for the last 7 years. I'm amazed that a smoker could have such (relatively) broad and tractable power.

And the brakes and clutch are the best I've ever experienced on a dirbike.

One problem I'm having is that it's a taller bike than my others, and since there is no linkage, I'm looking for a way to lower it. (I already bought the KTM optional low seat). Any suggestions?

The "best" way is to have the susp lowered by a tuner. It is a relatively easy and inexpensive way to lower the bike and it can be undone as well.

The other way to lower the rear, Synergy Seals makes a heim joint to lower the rear. Then you could raise the forks in the clamps.

i posted this last night on another thread but have had no responses so far... can anyone here help?

Last night i decided to grease everything up and sure enough, the steering bearings were almost dry. one thing that was strange is on the top part of the handlebar clamps there's this marking dot on it and it was facing the gas tank instead of the number plate. from what i remember marks on clamps usually face forward. i can't find anything about it on the user manual, can anyone shed some light on that? or is the guy that put my bike together a dumbass?

As you suspect, the marking on the mounts should be facing forward.

Wow i had to pay 200 dollar set up fee so they could install my handlebárs and front wheel and they could not even do that right

The "best" way is to have the susp lowered by a tuner. It is a relatively easy and inexpensive way to lower the bike and it can be undone as well.

The other way to lower the rear, Synergy Seals makes a heim joint to lower the rear. Then you could raise the forks in the clamps.

I was quoted about $550 to lower the suspension on my 09 SX from a highly reputable KTM suspension shop. The seat height is the one thing I don't like about my SX.

I was quoted about $550 to lower the suspension on my 09 SX from a highly reputable KTM suspension shop. The seat height is the one thing I don't like about my SX.

too much, IMO. I have never quoted it before, though, just going on what I have heard from others. maybe I will make a call....

when i got my 250

it was too tall for me but after a while it settled a little lower

its easier to swing my leg over now but still tall

The Pro Circuit Link drops the rear 10mm. In turn you can raise the forks 2-3mm to compensate. Maybe try that route?

808 - you running the stock pipe and silencer? Also, did you install the PC link on the rear and raise the forks? Stock jetting?

i posted this last night on another thread but have had no responses so far... can anyone here help?

Last night i decided to grease everything up and sure enough, the steering bearings were almost dry. one thing that was strange is on the top part of the handlebar clamps there's this marking dot on it and it was facing the gas tank instead of the number plate. from what i remember marks on clamps usually face forward. i can't find anything about it on the user manual, can anyone shed some light on that? or is the guy that put my bike together a dumbass?

You can change your offset on that bike...

From 18 deg to 20 deg....depend on the year and model...