Sign in to follow this  

Need opinions on yz125's

hey guys, i'm thinking about getting a yz125 for fun and some harescramble, gncc racing. I'm just curious what years are the best. i understand that the 05 and newer are the better ones but how are the 02 to 04's. I want to try and find one cheaper and then maybe get a 144 kit. i'm just looking for opinions and any would be appreciated. Thanks

The only downside to the 02-04 in my opinion is the 5 speed trans. I didn't like it as much. But that's an easy fix. I've seen 6 speed trans go for around $50 on ebay

I've been nothing but stoked with my 02. It was the easiest bike to get used to I've ridden. I went to 13/51 gearing and it really woke it up. It's been ages since I've ridden a 6 speed bike so I'm not sure how much better it would be from the 5 speed but I've got no complaints.

The 144 kit will fix the gaps in the 5 speed and could even be better. The 04 forks are perfect for offroad in stock form. 02 and 03 have the smaller 46mm forks which are harsher.

i just got an 04 ( coming off a 450 ) and I love it ... so much easyer to throw around than the 450. I can ride the bike twice as hard for twice as long and don't get nearly as tired.. throw on some bark busters and a couple of teeth on the back and your set.