Sign in to follow this  

Busted crf engine?

Hey guys, I recently bought an 06 crf250r. I immediately changed the oil, checked chain, and cleaned intake filter before riding. This weekend while riding with a friend, it just stopped working.. my buddy was the one driving when it happened, so I'm not sure exactly what went down, but I was 30 feet away on his 450, and saw it happen. He was driving in 3rd gear, and it just "stopped running". Now the kickstart makes a clicking sound, and when I push the bike while it's in gear it makes a clicking/snapping sound inside, like I threw a rod maybe? Any idea what this is?

ive seen a few throw rods. check if theres a hole in the cases. depending what happened it might not be worth the money to fix it. part out the bike and get a new one. should be easy to sell the rolling chassis. alot of people putting cr500 motor in them

I had a few mechanic buddies take a look at it, and they seem to think my decompression valve stuck open, should I just take it out or replace it?

I had a few mechanic buddies take a look at it, and they seem to think my decompression valve stuck open, should I just take it out or replace it?

you need to have someone that knows what is going on look at it.. or at least start by taking the valve cover off . The decomp mechanism is right there on teh end of the camshaft. It will be quite obvious, if you want help diagnosing this thing over the internet, you should at least post some photos. IF the bike was making good compression, you won't be able to kick the bike over if the dc isn't working. And it would more likely get stuck open (no decompression active) vs. getting stuck closed but you won't know till you get the valve cover off.

I took the cover off as suggested, and the problem was not the decompression mechanism, it was the piece between the rocker arm and the valve. it had busted apart on one valve, and pieces were down in the top of the head, so I got them out with a magnet. I brought it to my dads atv mechanic, to do a valve job for me. He said the problem was that whoever installed upgrades on my bike (previous owner) put a stage 3 hot-cam running stock valve springs(major no-no). So he's rebuilding the top end and putting heavier springs in it.

you might want to pull the cylinder and piston out to make sure there are no more pieces of the valve on the piston rings. I had a valve seat crumble on me and it melted ono the top of the piston. Italmost scored my cylinder wall. just my 2 cents.

yeah, my mechanic said he would check the cylinder for more debris. He is going back with Honda parts so I won't have to tear back into it again in a few races.