Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400s front sprocket OEM vs AMP

I need to replace a badly worn countershaft sprocket but the OEM sprocket has a rubber cushion. I have read that most people consider this a noise reduction feature and nothing more. I'm worry though, having just stripped the splines off an '08 XR650l countershaft. Has this ever been an issue on the DRZ? Is it really safe to run a Renthal or Sunstar sprocket?

Thanks Guys

I need to replace a badly worn countershaft sprocket but the OEM sprocket has a rubber cushion. I have read that most people consider this a noise reduction feature and nothing more. I'm worry though, having just stripped the splines off an '08 XR650l countershaft. Has this ever been an issue on the DRZ? Is it really safe to run a Renthal or Sunstar sprocket?

Thanks Guys

The rubber inset on an OEM sprocket is just for noise reduction.

The XR/ XL and like designs have issues wearing splines due to the type of retention of the sprocket.. Very common and well documented issues, just part of owning the model.

The DRZ has its own, though different issues woth countershaft / sprocket design.. and yes follow that link above to read about it, and what we recommend to gain reliability.

I have found the Renthal to be a good tight spline fit, and so run them most all the time.

Thanks guys, I'll go on and do it, just wanted to see a quick opinion poll. I amazing how worn the factory sprocket is after only 6500 miles. It's completey trashed, looks like waves on the ocean!

Thanks guys, I'll go on and do it, just wanted to see a quick opinion poll. I amazing how worn the factory sprocket is after only 6500 miles. It's completey trashed, looks like waves on the ocean!

So..Hows your chain and rear sprocket.?...It's usually best to change chain/sprockets as a set ...

Are you maintaining your chain and keeping correct adjustment ??

I have a new 48t rear and an EK chain. I discovered the condition of the front sprocket when I went to install the new parts. I didn't expect that kind of wear on the front sprocket since the rear looked so good and there's only 6500 on the bike.

I have a new 48t rear and an EK chain. I discovered the condition of the front sprocket when I went to install the new parts. I didn't expect that kind of wear on the front sprocket since the rear looked so good and there's only 6500 on the bike.

Steel sprockets are the go.....alloys are good for racing , but will cause you chain to wear more quickly.....