Sign in to follow this  

New Ktm

After riding a Yam YZ490 since 1987 I just purchased a KTM 525 EXC (2004) model.The bike was previously plated in Utah. After a trip to Auto club the woman doing the "inspection" told me she wanted to see the odometer reading. Finding none I told her I'll be back. My solution: buy the Trail tech speedo and run up the odometer slightly beyond the number on the Utah ownership paper. Well, I am open to any ideas regarding registration and advice on this (new to me) bike.

The magic odo number has to be 7500+ to register an out of state bike here in Ca...Get a trail tech and set it to 7999, then go to dmv... Congrats and good luck:thumbsup:

I called the guy I bought it from,he says it was missing when he bought it. Thanks for the info.

Can Turn:

Thanks for your reply,How did you find out about this? Did it work for you?

Tom

Can Turn:

Thanks for your reply,How did you find out about this? Did it work for you?

Tom

Here are the rules from the dmv site

http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29.htm

Here is some advise:

* Make sure odo (not trip odo) has 8K +...Not sure if the selling mileage is more or less than the 7500...If its more just set the trailtech to that plus 1000...

* Make sure everything DOT works, lights(hi/low beam), turn signals, horn, brake lights, a mirror...Make sure it has a DOT headlight not an enduro one

* Bring money

* Be nice

* Don't talk too much and don't even think of arguing.

* If asked how it got from Utah to Ca, say your buddies car broke down while at bible camp and you had to buy this bike to get home...

Good luck...Dan

Edited by CanTurn
additional info

That sounds stupid. My stock ktm speedo totally zeroed itself like three times before it died completely, now replaced with trailtech unit :busted:

I kinda regret that, because I'm fairly sure hid headlight caused some voltage peaks or something and did that. The speedo had 30k km's on it so it had quite a bit of sentimental value :busted:

Thanks guys for all the info. It's not what you know, it's who you know and what they know....... I will check all signals and headlamp for operation and DOT rating. Smog was mentioned in the DMV stuff, is this for real? any workarounds? The trail tech speedo is still on its way so I will keep you up on how things progress.

Tom

Thanks guys for all the info. It's not what you know, it's who you know and what they know....... I will check all signals and headlamp for operation and DOT rating. Smog was mentioned in the DMV stuff, is this for real? any workarounds? The trail tech speedo is still on its way so I will keep you up on how things progress.

Tom

The smog gig they are referring to is the federal emissions label that is on all bikes. KTMs are usually on the frame under the tank...Yours is probably a a 49 state bike, meaning it was never meant for sale in Ca. Now depending on the inspector and the person behind the computer they may determine that because of your circumstances ( remember your trip & breakdown in Utah) they may consider your bike plateable because of the mileage.

If I were you, I would not go back to the same dmv. They already know your odo was missing and when they see your new vapor, they may or may not know something is fishy. Do not take a chance...Plating out of state bikes that do not have an "approved for sale in Ca" can be daunting, not impossible, but daunting.

If I were you I would do all the DOT stuff, vapoize it with 8k plus, go to a different dmv and when you get to the counter tell them you just got (remember the story) back to Ca. and as a good citizen you want to do the right thing and register your vehicle (do not say DIRTBIKE) in Ca.

Now you are in the hands of the system...Follow my advise from above and you might just walk out with a plate...If not your bike will be green sticked and you will be totally SOOL...Good luck...Dan