Sign in to follow this  

2006 CRF450R Head/Cam compatibility

Hope you guy's can help! I took the motor out of the bike and handed it to a reparable motor builder. First problem was telling him i wanted more power from the mid all the way to the top, but wanted some what reliability to ride in the mountains. I found that these two words do not really go together ( Big horse power and reliability). Anyways, at the last minute he told me that the seats in the 06 head were pitted very bad and i needed to have them punched out and replaced. I Needed the bike for a race in (7) days and it would not be possible to have the machining done in time. He had a 2008 head in the shop and would use that to get me buy for the race. I need to add that he wanted to use a 2002 stock OEM cam in this motor and Kibblewhite stock size Springs and Valves. He had a problem with shimming the valves. Not sure of the details on this because i'm kind-off new to 4 strokes . I think there is a difference in a 2008 decompression system?? This is my Question! Is a 2002 oem Cam compatible in a 2008 Head?

Any year from 02 to 08 will physically bolt on and work,however some differences exist. They are,07 and 08 have a smaller and different shaped exhaust port and use 1mm smaller exhaust valves,this is a good upgrade for the 02 to 06 models,it doesn't hurt the top end power and creates a stronger/better roll on power.

Any cam from 02 to 06 will fit right in and accept all of your existing decomp parts, the 07 and 08 have a different decomp system but these cams will work if you have all the decomp parts and cam sprockets for either of the later years,but you have to have the correct items if say you have an 07 cam. Also it should be said that some problems exist with the cam sprocket on the 07 and the 08 parts are prefered. I like the 02 cam with the 07/08 head and old style decomp system that can be adjusted to suit rather than the later 07/08 decomp that can't be adjusted.cheers