Sign in to follow this  

Want a new Husky next year

Hey guys, have a few ?s about Husky 2 strokes. I want to buy a new Husky WR250 or a 300. I am coming off a '02 KTM300EXC (Great bike) but I just want a new bike. What kind of mods can be performed on Husky 2 strokes? My KTM is modded quite a bit like cylinder head recut to run race fuel, RB modded carb, auto clutch, etc... You know all the things that make for a great woods bike. Is there a company that sells or does service work specifically on Huskys? What about suspension? What kinds of mods do you do there? What kind of a carb comes on the new Huskys and are they easy to do jetting work on?

Thanks for any info and what to look for

Little Jeff

Hey guys, have a few ?s about Husky 2 strokes. I want to buy a new Husky WR250 or a 300. I am coming off a '02 KTM300EXC (Great bike) but I just want a new bike. What kind of mods can be performed on Husky 2 strokes? My KTM is modded quite a bit like cylinder head recut to run race fuel, RB modded carb, auto clutch, etc... You know all the things that make for a great woods bike. Is there a company that sells or does service work specifically on Huskys? What about suspension? What kinds of mods do you do there? What kind of a carb comes on the new Huskys and are they easy to do jetting work on?

Little Jeff

Hi Little Jeff, You can get a race head for the 300 or you can have the head shaved as well by someone like RB designs. Of course RB designs also does carb mods for Husky as well. I have a couple of friends that have the rekluse in their 250 and 300s. For suspension you have one of the best right here locally in LTR in Port Orchard, people usually just have them sprung and valved for riding conditions, weight, ability etc. The husky comes with a mikuni carb which some people like and others switch to a PWK a lot of the time I think because they are familiar with them. I think the mikuni has more top end and the pwk has better bottom end, but that is just what I think. Aftermarket stuff like plastic or metal skid plates, radiator guards, rotor guards, etc...was easy to get from motosportz. I would also reccomend shopping a little for the bike, I found a great deal at Bills in salem that was more than worth the drive. Once you get your bike dialed for you it should last a long time like your previous mount. Hope some of this was helpful and good luck.

Yeah, Les does all my work on my suspension. Great guy that does reat work for sure. Was checking out Taskys Metric Cycle online, there prices seem pretty reasonable but will shop around for sure. Have a bunch of medical bills that I have to pay off first then some new tires for my truck and then the bike hopefully. Thanks for the reply.

Little Jeff

got an 09 300.

I swapped out the mikuni, had all these grandios plans and doing the same things you where talking about. But honestly when I put the kehin carb in the bike..it is in such a sweet spot now with so much more power than I could ever need its PERFECT. I wouldnt dare change it. I had les at ltr do the suspension, got all the normal armor and am loving life on this bike. I didn go with an autoclutch as I refuse to loose bump starting so spent $200 on a hydralic clutch at motosportz and changed the gearing so that I rarely shift in this tight nw stuff anyway.

Why in the world would anyone want to mod out a WR300 motor??? The motor is perfect stock and the best thing about that bike. Put in a Rekluse and let errrr rip! Wyatt Seals also does very good suspension work on Husky's.

Dave A

Why in the world would anyone want to mod out a WR300 motor??? The motor is perfect stock and the best thing about that bike. Put in a Rekluse and let errrr rip! Wyatt Seals also does very good suspension work on Husky's.

Dave A

Yeah once you ride the thing you cant help but have a giant grin. I rode a gas gas 300 and felt like i went to 200. I think the husky 300 is the absolute beast of power ina very gental way if that makes sense, best undisovered secret out there imo.

I have an 09 300 and I love it. Coming off a YZ250, not 250f. Only things I changed were the carb to a PWK and a 50 tooth rear sprocket. It was great all year.

Now that being said, I just recently swapped out the exhaust for a Procircuit PC2 and type 296. WOW! I don't know why I waited on that. That is what the doctor ordered. Gave it some more power down low and in the mid, while still letting it rev out like hell.

I also ordered a race head, and I think I am done. Only thing I need to do now is regular maintenance. It is a single track killing machine that still has legs to run in the desert! And no lie, the gnarlier, the better the bike gets. Parts are avail online all over, if you dont' have anyone local.

The stock 300 motor is freaking awesome, I'm running the stock carb with no problems. I just resprung mine for my weight, added armor and have been riding the piss out of it. 3 sets of tires and just put on new sprockets and have only had it since Feb of this year. Did I mention how awesome the Husky 300 is?

Yeah once you ride the thing you cant help but have a giant grin. I rode a gas gas 300 and felt like i went to 200. I think the husky 300 is the absolute beast of power ina very gental way if that makes sense, best undisovered secret out there imo.

Don't be deceived by the extremely flat power band of the GasGas. They are remarkably quick but don't feel that way. GasGas also stacks base gaskets to lower the compression for poor quality fuel. Pull them out and it really picks up.

Don't be deceived by the extremely flat power band of the GasGas. They are remarkably quick but don't feel that way. GasGas also stacks base gaskets to lower the compression for poor quality fuel. Pull them out and it really picks up.

Well in fairness it was on tight mtn singletrack only. I do like the gasgases enough to be considering one in the future. People who have them seem to never sell them and love em. I have been riding long enough to know that tells

me everything I need to know.

The first time I rode one I went out and got one. Sent a KTM 300 estart down the road. I've never been on a bike that eats up nasty technical trails like the GasGas. I'm going ahead and dumping my 525 and it's now doubtful I'm going to repair the 450exc either.

Dave A

:busted: you don't know Jeff.....he would mod the fender bolts if he could :busted:

Joe

Little Jeff

Jeff.....ride fitness2go's 300 before you decide :busted:

Joe

Yeah, I know some folks like that as well. I just get the suspension where i like it and ride the wheels off them.

Dave A :busted::busted:

A buddy has an 11 WR250 that is really nice and he rides it almost stock.

I'm considering one.

I have a wr300 with FMF gnarly pipe, FMF turbine core 2 silencer, flywheel weight, K&N air filter, factory connection sus., and a few odds and ends to make it mine. I had to add the pipe to make up for the flywheel. This thing will rip on a stock 300 and makes as much grunt as a 450! I only have two more goodies planned: Trail tech gps, and a rekluse clutch. I have never stalled the bike since the flywheel but just in case! I love how versitile this thing is, I like to lugg it in the woods and scream it out on the straight aways like a 125.

Is it true that the WR250-300's use the Rekluse autoclutch from the Husky 4 strokes? You're right Joe, I can't leave anything stock LOL!!

Little Jeff

Is it true that the WR250-300's use the Rekluse autoclutch from the Husky 4 strokes? You're right Joe, I can't leave anything stock LOL!!

Little Jeff

Not sure but i know they have em. I also forgot to mention i got mine at taskys with a plate. Just got a dual sport kit installed:banana: