Sign in to follow this  

suspension problems

i recently bought a bike from craigslist and i noticed that the rear of the bike is about 2 inches shorter than stock. i tried raising it by tightening the shock spring which didnt do anything. im wondering what would cause the bike to be so low if everything is stock. the previous rider was 5'6 and about 100 pounds, i weigh 145 and am 5'10. any suggestions on what i could do to fix this?

What kind of bike is it? The original rider may have lowered the bike with aftermarket lowering links (dog bones), or an internal limiter inside the shock. Can you contact the original owner and ask them?

CoKTM

its an 08 crf250r, i dont think i can contact the original owner. i did notice that the linkage looks like it might be a little bit longer than the stock but i would have to measure to know this for sure also the suspension was done for the previous rider

If the rear was lowered, the front will have been too. Are the tubes at normal height in the clamps? If so, you'd better do some measuring there too. Only way to lower the front (other than raising the tubes in the clamps) is internal.

the forks are normal height, the back end is just low. i rode an 08 crf250 with the stock hight and i can definatly tell that my bike is a lot lower along with just looking at the bikes side by side

Bet it handled worse than a pig then. After I converted my KDX to USDs, they were a hair over 1/2" too long. Didn't realize how badly it was handling until I had them lowered and leveled the bike out again. HUGE difference with just that small amount. 2" down in the rear is akin to Harley chopper geometry.

i tried raising it by tightening the shock spring which didnt do anything. i

even if the rear is lowered, it should have some free sag. so it should rise when you put more preload on the spring...

Probably lowered with an internal spacer, the way tuners do it. Take the shock off and measure shock length eye to eye. Compare to stock specs.