Sign in to follow this  

fOREIGN OBJECT IN CRANKCASE

:banghead:Re-building sons bike after the the bottom end went in his last race. Tore motor down today and when draining oil, two 1/4" ball bearings fell out of crankcase. I split the cases and was unable to find where they came from, and everything inside was intact. To my knowledge there is no bearings that size in the crankcase. Any idea's? If i had alot of extra ball bearings laying around I would be interrogating my three year old, but I don't....

Ok, I saw this reply in your thread in the Kawi 2 stroke section. Should have kept it there.

Chokey it's his sons KX85

Troy, did it come from the trans section or crank section? If from the crank area, it was one of the main bearings. If from the trans section, it was either the primary trans shaft bearing behind the clutch basket or the KIPS governor.

You really must check out the FAQ section in the kawi 2 stroke area. You will find this thread Click here and you will see pics and descriptions of things like this...

24check4balls.jpg

Thanks Sappers! that was it, I got them back in.. Sorry for the double post.. And thanks for the pics and tutorial...

No problem. Just make sure the tolerance is set correctly per my pics and the manual. It only takes about .010" excess clearance for those to come out at WOT and when the PV is fully open.

I used to check this about every 50 hrs or topend rebuild on his 100 and in the 2 1/2 years he had the bike, I had to fix it about 6 or 7 times. But he ran that bike WOT all the time so it took some serious abuse. If your son is always ringing it out, this needs to be a religious periodic check.