Recipes Wanted

The time has come to put into action an idea I've had for a few years. A collection of recipes that are favorites for camping or after ride meals. Once they are all put together, the cookbook will be available for on-line purchase and all the proceeds will go to Rider Down Foundation. If you'd like to contribute, please email (or have your personal chef email) me the recipes. Looking for main dishes, desserts, sides, salads, appetizers, drinks - whatever it is that you think makes for a great end to a fantastic day in the dirt! Thanks!! Denise

:busted:

Non-Dairy Tator Tot Casserole

1 package Tator Tots

1 can Campbells Golden Mushroom condensed soup

2 cans green beans

Salt & Pepper to taste

1 tablespoon Onion Powder

½ tablespoon Garlic Powder

1 lb cooked hamburger

1 can lite coconut milk

1 package Daiya brand Non-Dairy Cheeese, cheddar flavor

Cook hamburger, season with salt and pepper lightly. Spray 9x13in pan with non-stick cooking spray. In a separate bowl mix Campbell’s Golden Mushroom, handful of the Daiya cheese, green beans, coconut milk, and seasonings (can add more S&P if you like). Add cooked hamburger and mix well. Pour into pan and top with rows of tator tots and a sprinkling of the Daiya. Cook at 385 degrees until tator tots are brown and cooked and hamburger mixture is bubbling. Enjoy!

I came up with this recipe for the hubby who can't have any type of dairy and hasnt had tator tot casserole in 10+ years until I tried making it this summer. The key for the non-dairy part is the Campbell's Golden Mushroom condensed soup, as the Cream of Mushroom condensed soup contains dairy. The Daiya cheese melts wonderfully for a non-dairy cheese substitute and doesnt seperate like some brands do.

OK... here's a good un hehe

After the Race Margarita's hehe

2 shot's 1800 reprasado

2 shot's Casadore's Reprasado

1/2 shot Blue Curacao

1/2 shot Grand Marnier

1/4 shot triple sec

Pour into a 16oz glass with salted rim and some ice and top with Sweet and sour, stir and enjoy

----------------------

Chili Verde

Chile Verde Recipe

Cook time: 3 hours

INGREDIENTS

1 1/2 pounds tomatillos

5 garlic cloves, not peeled

2 jalapenos, seeds and ribs removed, chopped

2 Anaheim or Poblano chiles (optional)

1 bunch cilantro leaves, cleaned and chopped

3 1/2 to 4 pounds pork shoulder (also called pork butt), trimmed of excess fat and cut into 1 to 2-inch cubes

Salt

Freshly ground black pepper

Olive oil

2 yellow onions, chopped

3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped

2 Tbsp of chopped fresh oregano or 1 Tbsp of dried oregano

2 1/2 cups chicken stock

Pinch of ground cloves

Bottle of your favorite Tequila (mine is Casadores Reprasado)

1. Remove papery husks from tomatillos and rinse well. Cut in half and place cut side down, along with 5 unpeeled garlic cloves, on a foil-lined baking sheet. Place under a broiler for about 5-7 minutes to lightly blacken the skin. Remove from oven, let cool enough to handle.

If you want the additional flavor of chiles other than jalapenos, you can add a couple Anaheim or poblano chiles. Either use canned green chiles or roast fresh chilies over a gas flame or under the broiler until blackened all around. Let cool in a bag, remove the skin, seeds, and stem.

2A. Place tomatillos, skins included, into blender. Remove the now roasted garlic cloves from their skins, add them to the blender. Add chopped Jalapeño peppers, other chilies (if you are using them), and cilantro to the blender. add a few shots of tequila (about 1/4 bottle) Pulse until all ingredients are finely chopped and mixed.

2B. Take a shot

3A. Season the pork cubes generously with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed skillet over medium high heat and brown pork chunks well on all sides. Work in batches so that the pork is not crowded in the pan and has a better chance to brown well. Using a slotted spoon or tongs, lift pork out of pan and place in bowl, set aside.

3B. Take a shot

4A. Pour off excess fat, anything beyond a tablespoon, and place the onions and garlic in the same skillet and cook, stirring occasionally until limp, about 5 minutes. If your skillet is large enough to cook the entire batch of chile verde, with the sauce and meat, then add the pork back to the pan. If not, get a large soup pot and add the onion mixture and the pork to it. Add the oregano to the pan. Add the tomatillo chile verde sauce to the pork and onions. Add the chicken stock (enough to cover the meat). Add a pinch of ground cloves. Add a little salt and pepper. (Not too much as the chile verde will continue to cook down and concentrate a bit.)

4B. Take a shot

5 Bring to a boil and reduce to a slight simmer. Cook for 2-3 hours uncovered or until the pork is fork tender.

Adjust the seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.

------------------

WhiteTrash Mac and Cheese hehe

Ingredients

3 cups milk

1/2 lb elbow mac

3 TBLS butter

1 TBLS dry Mustard

3 tbls flour

1 TBLS spoon dark Chili powder

1/2 TBLS Cayenne -more/less depending on how hot you like

1/2 tsp Paprika

1/2 cup yellow Onion finely chopped

2 4 oz cans diced green chilies

1 large egg

6oz sharp cheddar cheese

8 oz Queso cheese

6 oz mild cheddar cheese

6 oz Monterey jack cheese

6 oz medium cheddar cheese

1 tbls dried cilantro

1 tsp Kosher salt or regular salt

Ground black pepper

How to hehe

Pre heat oven to 350 degrees

use a large pot to boil water with a touch of salt to cook Mac to a Al dente state

While that is going get a separate pot, melt butter

Whisk in flour, mustard, chili powder, cayenne, and move for about 5 mins or so. Try and make sure there is no clumps like yeah right lol.

Now stir in Milk, onion, Cilantro, Chilies, Paprika, Salt and Pepper. Simmer for say 10 mins or so.

Now temper in the Egg, stir in about 3/4's of the cheese and add a bit of salt and pepper.

Now fold the mix in the Mac and after pour into a 2 Quart baking dish. I need a 2 quart and a small one most times as I awlways use more Mac hehe.

Now top with the rest of the Cheese and Bake for about 40 to 45 mins

Then enjoy hehe

EDIT-----------------

Oh I forgot

Casadores Reprasado .... you need to take a shot between simmering and folding in :busted:

2 shot's 1800 reprasado

1/2 shot Blue Curacao

1/2 shot Grand Marnier

1/4 shot triple sec

Pour into a 16oz glass with salted rim and some ice and top with Sweet and sour, stir and enjoy

NICE...gonna get supplies for this weekend ! I won't be racing but I will be riding...that counts right?

2 shot's 1800 reprasado

1/2 shot Blue Curacao

1/2 shot Grand Marnier

1/4 shot triple sec

NICE...gonna get supplies for this weekend ! I won't be racing but I will be riding...that counts right?

Yes..... this indeedy counts hehe :busted:

I did think of a recipe for your book.

Hot dog on a stick.

1 hot dog.

1 hot dog bun.

various condiments: ketchup, mustard, relish, dirt, ashes, etc.

1 stick, cleanliness unknown.

Put hot dog on stick, hold over open flame for 2-3 minutes, drop hot dog off stick into coals. Curse while stabbing burning hod dog with stick. Break stick.

Get a new stick, continue stabbing hod dog till hot dog is consumed or successfully inserted on stick.

Remove from flame.

wipe off on jeans.

insert into bun.

add condiments.

Serves 1, can be doubled

Is it just me, or does something about camping make the most ordinary food taste better?

I did think of a recipe for your book.

Hot dog on a stick.

1 hot dog.

1 hot dog bun.

various condiments: ketchup, mustard, relish, dirt, ashes, etc.

1 stick, cleanliness unknown.

Put hot dog on stick, hold over open flame for 2-3 minutes, drop hot dog off stick into coals. Curse while stabbing burning hod dog with stick. Break stick.

Get a new stick, continue stabbing hod dog till hot dog is consumed or successfully inserted on stick.

Remove from flame.

wipe off on jeans.

insert into bun.

add condiments.

Serves 1, can be doubled

Is it just me, or does something about camping make the most ordinary food taste better?

Hahahaha thats pretty good!! Breakfast while camping always seems better, especially bacon lol We tried that pancake batter in a can that you just squirt into the pan/griddle.....that part worked fine but we had way to hot of a fire and it just burned the pancakes and the inside wasnt always done lol

My Chili Colorado :busted:

Ingredients

9 New Mexico dry chiles - washed, with stems and seeds removed

3 cups water

5 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed off fat

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon kosher salt

1 tablespoon black pepper

3 tablespoons olive oil

1 large yellow onion, chopped

1 cup beef broth

1 cup tequila ( I use Casadores reprasdo hehe)

Directions

Place chiles and 3 cups water into a medium stockpot, and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and steep for 30 minutes to soften. Strain into a bowl, reserving the cooking liquid. Place the chiles and some of the liquid into a blender, and puree until smooth. Add more liquid as necessary to form a smooth sauce. Pass sauce through a fine mesh strainer to remove any seeds and the tough skins; set aside.

Cut the roast into 1 to 2 inch chunks. In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt, and pepper. Dredge the beef chunks in the seasoned flour; set aside.

Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Saute onion until tender and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add beef chunks a few at a time, so as not to overcrowd the pot, and cook until evenly brown. Remove cooked meat, and continue browning remaining meat. Return reserved cooked meat to the pot. Stir in pureed chile mixture. Add beef stock and Tequila to just cover beef chunks, or to personal preference. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to lowest setting, and simmer for 3 hours, or until meat is tender. If necessary, adjust with more stock and Tequila during cooking.

Yes... I like to cook Mexican food :busted:

The key to cooking on an open fire is to cook over coals, not flame. In fact, I usually push the large wood off to one side and have a shovel near by to collect the hot coals under it. Also throwing large rocks (well, don't throw, lob?) in the fire pit shortly before cooking helps because the rocks retain and slowly release the intense heat.

We do chicken and burgers a lot, you need a grill for that, the cheap ones that come with those disposable charcoal grills work great and store nicely. The rest of the charcoal grill is crap though, including the charcoal.

I like tossing old maids on a rock after the jiffy pop is done, tick-tick-tick BOOM! on 100:1 scale.

MONSTER COOKIES

Ingredients

• 3 eggs

• 1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar

• 1 cup granulated sugar

• 1/2 teaspoon salt

• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

• 1 12-ounce jar creamy peanut butter

• 1 stick butter, softened

• 1/2 cup multi-colored chocolate candies

• 1/2 cup chocolate chips

• 1/4 cup raisins, optional

• 2 teaspoons baking soda

• 4 1/2 cups quick-cooking oatmeal (not instant)

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or nonstick baking mats.

In a very large mixing bowl, combine the eggs and sugars. Mix well. Add the salt, vanilla, peanut butter, and butter. Mix well. Stir in the chocolate candies, chocolate chips, raisins, if using, baking soda, and oatmeal. Drop by tablespoons 2 inches apart onto the prepared cookie sheets.

Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Do not overbake. Let stand for about 3 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool. When cool, store in large resealable plastic bags.

Hobo pockets

Fresh vegetables, cut in small chunks

Meat of choice, cut in small chunks

Butter

Salt and pepper

Fresh herbs, if available

Allow one or more packets per person. On foil, place whatever vegetables you have on hand, such as potatoes, sweet potatoes, onion, carrots, green pepper, corn, green beans, tomatoes or mushrooms.

Place meat (chicken, beef, pork or venison) on top of vegetables; add large pat of butter on top. Add salt, pepper and any fresh herbs you like.

Close foil and wrap each packet in additional foil. Place in woodstove on or next to hot coals. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, checking after about 15 minutes.

Cobbler is easy.

1/2 cup milk

1/2 cup sugar

1tbsp baking powder

2tbsp vanilla ext (optional but highly recommended)

1 tsp cinnamon if desired

1 stick of butter

24 oz can of fruit (peaches, pineapple and mandarin orange, fruit cocktail pie filling works great too apple, blueberry, blackberry, cherry you get the picture)

12 in dutch oven

I line my dutch oven with foil

melt butter in DO

mix milk, sugar, flour, vanilla, baking powder and cinnamon together

pour gently over butter (do not stir batter and butter)

spoon in fruit evenly around dutch oven

8-9 coals under DO and 12-14 on lid

rotate DO every 15 min,and rotate lid opposite direction you turn DO

60-90 min, Icheck cobbler each rotation after the 60 min mark.

Variations...add 1/4 cup cocoa powder to batter with cherry pie filling.

with peach or apple add in carmel bits, I use the whole bag half way through the baking process

If you want to make at home, bake 350 for 60 min, you can use a 9x15 pan or one of those half size throw-away alum pans.

not a camp recipe but one of my fav's

CHOCOLATE PECAN PIE

3/4 cup Sugar

1/2 teaspoon Salt

1 cup Light Corn Syrup

3 (1 ounce) squares Unsweetened Chocolate, melted and cooled

3 tablespoons melted Butter or Regular Margarine

3 Eggs

1 teaspoon Vanilla

1 cup chopped Pecans

1 (9 inch) Unbaked Pie Shell

Preparation:

1. Preheat oven to 375 F.

2. Combine first seven ingredients in a bowl.

3. At medium speed, with electric mixer, beat until well blended.

4. Add the pecans.

5. Pour pecan pie mixture into the unbaked pie shell.

6. Bake 35 minutes, or until set.

7. Cool on a wire rack.

Variation…add 1-2 tablespoons of Jack Daniels or Jim Beam to mix

Monkey Bread Recipe

Ingredients:

2 rolls of Pillsbury biscuits

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup brown sugar

3 Tbsp cinnamon

1 stick butter

Notes:

dessert or breakfast

Instructions:

Cut biscuits into quarters.

Mix sugar and cinnamon in plastic bag.

Drop each quarter into bag and shake to coat well.

Place in dutch oven.

Melt butter and pour over biscuits.

Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. 8-10 coals B 12-14 on lid

Mississippi Mud Cake

1 yellow cake mix; prepared as directed Mud

1/2 cup cocoa powder

Topping 2 cups brown sugar

10 oz. bag semi-sweet chocolate chips 1 cup hot water

3/4 cup chopped pecans 2 tsp. vanilla

powdered sugar 1 tsp. cinnamon

Line the bottom and sides of a 12" Dutch oven with heavy foil. To the oven add prepared cake mix.

Prepare The Mud: In a separate bowl combine all "Mud" ingredients and stir until well mixed. Pour mud mixture over the cake batter.

Bake: Cover Dutch oven and bake using 8-10 briquettes bottom and 14-16 briquettes top for 60-90 minutes replenishing coals after 60 minutes if cake is not done. Sprinkle chocolate chips and pecans over top of cake about 5 minutes before cake is done.

Dust top of cake with powdered sugar just before service.

Serve warm with whipped cream.

Serves: 10-12

Dutch Oven Turkey & Rice Casserole

1/2 lb. bacon; 1/2" pieces (2) 10 oz. cans cream of chicken soup

2 cups long grain white or wild rice 2 cups water

4 cups diced cooked turkey 2 tsp. dried parsley flakes

1 large yellow onion; diced 3/4 tsp. poultry seasoning

1 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms 1/2 tsp. paprika

1 cup chopped green bell pepper salt and pepper to taste

4 cloves garlic; minced 2 cups grated cheddar cheese

Fry bacon in a 12" Dutch oven using 22-24 briquettes bottom heat until crisp. Add white or wild rice and continue cooking until rice is slightly toasted. Add turkey, onion, mushrooms, bell pepper, garlic, cream of chicken soup, water, and seasonings. Stir to mix completely. Bring contents to a boil then cover and bake for 60-90 minutes using 10-12 briquettes bottom and 14-16 briquettes top heat. When rice is tender sprinkle cheese over the top then replace lid and let stand for 5 minutes until cheese is melted.

Serves: 10-12

Mountain Dew Chicken Dutch Oven Recipe

Return

Ingredients: 1/2 lb. bacon

1 gallon zip-loc bag with 1 cup flour

5 chicken breasts

5 potatos

10 carrots

1 large onion

1 can Mountain Dew soda

1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat dutch oven by setting on bed of coals.

Chop bacon into 1-inch pieces.

Dice vegetables.

Cut chicken breasts in half lengthwise.

Fry bacon in dutch oven until crispy.

Remove bacon from d.o. but leave grease.

Shake chicken breasts in baggie of flour to coat.

Cook in bacon grease to brown, about 5 minutes, turning a couple times.

Pour vegetables, bacon, and Mountain Dew on top of chicken.

Cover with lid and cook at 350° for 45 minutes with 3/4 of coals on lid.

Using tongs or fork, lift chicken breasts so they are resting on top of vegetables.

Sprinkle cheese over the chicken.

Cook an additional 10 to 15 minutes.

Serves 6 to 8.