Sign in to follow this  

California San Gabriel Watershed and Mountains Special Resource Study

There's not much riding up there, but it's still the closest place to get seriously out into the woods if you live in the LA area.

http://www.nps.gov/pwro/sangabriel/

The National Park Service is conducting a “special resource study” of portions of the San Gabriel River watershed and the San Gabriel Mountains.

I'm on the Sierra Club Bastards mailing list, and they're pushing for "Alternative D". Of course, that is by a long shot the farthest-reaching. I just read through most of the report available at the link above.

Alternatives A, C and D all basically state that all current government-owned land will stay controlled by the entity that controls it, and nothing will change regarding use. What they all do is add "interpretive opportunities" to the area. Which I read as an authorization to build a bunch of crap and have a bunch more people out there to tell you to look at the crap they built, kinda like they did at El Mirage. Basically, spending money we don't have to make the area actually less like we want it to be, which is someplace to get away from all the "noise". They aren't going to change anything, just use federal funds to add more noise out there. :busted:

Alternative D sounds the most beneficial, in that it provides local recreational opportunities for the communities downstream in the watershed, which basically means from Azusa south along the river. Essentially, they're saying, "Let's spend a lot of money to make special parks along the river in these ghetto-fied areas so the poor people who live there can go enjoy the outdoors without having to drive all the way up into the mountains." ...thereby helping preserve the mountains for the rich who can afford to visit them and won't settle for less.

Putting in the long-term paranoid view, I can't imagine that having more government bureaucracy and rules applying to the actual nice parts will promote access by anything but foot and horse traffic. Especially if the Sierra Club is behind it. :busted:

My basic philosophy is that I need a place to park and the trails to be there and open. A crap shack and some bear-proof trash cans (getting really deluxe and highly-trafficed) are nice touches if they want to make it all domestic-like. Anything more than that is going backward.

If anyone else agrees, going to one of the public meetings and supporting the "do nothing" alternative would be a good idea.

Public Meeting Schedule:

El Monte (Kick-Off Meeting)

Saturday, October 29

1pm – 3 pm

City of El Monte Senior Center

3120 N. Tyler Avenue

El Monte, CA 91731

Palmdale

Monday, November 14

7pm - 9pm

Larry Chimbole Cultural Center,

Joshua Room

38350 Sierra Highway

Palmdale, CA 93550

Pomona

Tuesday, November 15th

7pm - 9pm

Agriscapes Center, California Polytechnic Institute Campus

4102 S. University Drive

(South of Temple Avenue/ From Highway 57, exit Temple Avenue and go west towards Cal Poly Pomona. Turn left on South Campus Drive, Agriscapes is the building adjacent to the Farm Store).

Pomona, CA 91768

Santa Clarita

Wednesday, November 16th

7pm - 9pm

George A. Caravalho Activities Center

Santa Clarita Room A

20880 Centre Point Parkway

Santa Clarita, CA 91351

Tujunga

Thursday, November 17th

7pm - 9pm

Northeast Valley City Hall Auditorium

7747 Foothill Blvd

Tujunga, CA 91042

• Like 1

you should know that CORVA runs el mireage and it was they who were behind building the new building, well, entry fees, etc.

thank you Waldheim:foul:

you should know that CORVA runs el mireage and it was they who were behind building the new building, well, entry fees, etc.

thank you Waldheim:foul:

CORVA is NOT FOJ even if Waldheim is part of both. But don't let facts get in your way... LOL

I say let em have it. The place is a complete waste of time anyway. Maybe they'll spend a lot of time and resources on locking it down. :busted: