Sign in to follow this  

fork seals help!

so i have gone through 2 sets of forks seals in the last 5 hours of riding and i dont know exactly why. i am installing them correctly and putting the front end back together with all the correct steps but my fork seals will not last more than a half hour before they puke all over my front brake again. i thought it might be the fork bushings being worn out but im not sure. help?

-its a 2008 yz250f

I always replace the bushings when replacing the fork seals. Also, It could be possible that you aren't reinstalling the front wheel assembly correctly. On my yami's I have to take the bike off the stand compress the front suspension up and down 15+ times then tighten pinch bolts and axle nut. If I don't I risk the forks not being alined correctly, causing seal failure. It's in the factory manual. It happened to me one time. The rotor side fork got pulled slightly inwards during tightening and caused a leaky mess.

Also check your lower fork tubes for nicks or burrs.

• Like 1

Any way you can take them to a shop and have them done for a decent price? Shops here charge about $75 and no headaches or worries.

Fork bushings worn as your thinking is a good possibility, and or damage to the fork tube, nick, pit, scratch, dent, .. assuming quality seals are installed correctly and the fork, front wheel as well. That leaves bushing wear and tube damage.

What oil are you using? Some oils will kill seals in no time. I used Bel-Ray HVI suspension fluid before and the seals only lasted 1 ride. It took me 3 sets of seals to figure out that the oil was breaking them down. Apparently the HVI is only intended for shocks and not forks but Bel-Ray was not very clear about this.

are wiping the inside before you replace them? are you riding in sand? are your forks chipped and scratching the seal? maybe just bad luck