Sign in to follow this  

Idling Problem

I took delivery of my 06 450x today. I live in NJ and the bike came from CA. The guy said it was jetted correctly, which it appeared to be except for the fact that I couldn't get the bike to idle correctly. I would adjust the idle and it would seem to be OK then it would start to fluxuate high and low. I kept trying to adjust it but it seemed to be all over the place, once I thought I had it dialed in the bike would stall like the idle was to low then I would turn the idle just a little and it would seem to be OK then a few minutes later the idle was way too high and I had to turn it down. It seemed as though when the bike would idle correctly it would take about 5 to 10 seconds to come off a high idle and down to a normal idle but down the road a little it would change again. Anyone have any ideas on what would casue the idle the be all over the place like that.

I just had this problem. Check your pilot jet and pilot circuit and make sure nothing blocking any of the holes. Check to make sure your hot start plunger is seating fully and not letting in air (I believe this was my problem). Check your carb boots for air leaks. Spray brake cleaner around the boots while running. Any change in idle means a leak. Check your fuel screw for correct setting. This makes a huge difference in idle stability. Mine was off a bit after a cold snap and a bit of tweaking got the off idle snap tits.

Ok Thanks I will check it out. The bike was clean so I really didn't go over it too well I just wanted to get on and ride it.

Krannie do you have a fuel screw you can recomend and also the setting for the screw

R&D racing is great cause it's a remote adjusting screw; you adjust while riding, if you like.

There are several guidelines on fuel screw adjustment. There is a sticky in the Jetting forum that covers it. It is not a setting, as it needs to be altered with substantial changes in air density, altitude, temperature, and filter cleanliness.

I am experiencing the exact same problem on my 06 X. Put new jets all the way around clean every passage way above the jets, new gaskets. Same problem. Spoke to Paul at AS and he is leaning towards electrical issues after hearing the bike run and die at idle. You's sounds carb related though. Mine would be idleing nicely just under 1800 rpms and just die w/o warning. Possible issue spots are the coil, stator or pulse generator. I couldn't find a Peak Voltage adapter for my multimeter to save my life, so I just took iit n to AS to test. Sitting next Krannie's bike now. Nice bike BTW Krannie.

A $7 pilot jet may solve your issue.

I am experiencing the exact same problem on my 06 X. Put new jets all the way around clean every passage way above the jets, new gaskets. Same problem. Spoke to Paul at AS and he is leaning towards electrical issues after hearing the bike run and die at idle. You's sounds carb related though. Mine would be idleing nicely just under 1800 rpms and just die w/o warning. Possible issue spots are the coil, stator or pulse generator. I couldn't find a Peak Voltage adapter for my multimeter to save my life, so I just took iit n to AS to test. Sitting next Krannie's bike now. Nice bike BTW Krannie.

A $7 pilot jet may solve your issue.

:busted::bonk: What bike? I forgot I had it....:busted::bonk:

:busted::bonk: What bike? I forgot I had it....:busted::bonk:

Paul making a career out of your bike Krannie?

The 'tire guy' has been dicking him around for weeks.

Did it have wheels on it?? That would be a good thing......

Pretty sure it had tires on it, just didn't look if they were new or not.