96 Rm 250 Leaking Kick Starter W new Seal?..

Alright so my kick starter on my 96 RM 250 is leaking out the kick shaft. I bought a new seal thinkng that would fix it but didnt work and still leaks oil. I have the right amount oil in the bike, The only thing I could think it was is the kick shaft is getting worn, the kick starter seems to be able to move in and out like a 1/8 of an inch. Does anyone have any experience with this? thanks :busted:

anyone else have oil leaking at that seal? or kick starter shaft play up and down?

My 2000 RM250 does this. Unfortunately there is no easy way to fix this. The kick starter shaft bearing surface consist of the case and side cover bore which wears out and causes excessive play. Since the bearing surface is part of the case and side cover casting, the only way to fix it is to replace the worn out side cover and right case half. 

My 2000 RM250 does this. Unfortunately there is no easy way to fix this. The kick starter shaft bearing surface consist of the case and side cover bore which wears out and causes excessive play. Since the bearing surface is part of the case and side cover casting, the only way to fix it is to replace the worn out side cover and right case half. 

so you mean the kick starter shaft goes through the side case cover with out a bearing or bushing? and when the kick starter wears out the bore, which is the entire side cover, you have to replace the entire side cover clutch case casting? if so that is so stupid. why didnt they put a bearing there or at least a press in bushing that can be replaced. also is it possible that the kick starter shaft itself could wear before the the case cover bore does? thus saving the expensive side cover and replacing the kick starter shaft only?

Edited by bigdaddykane93

so you mean the kick starter shaft goes through the side case cover with out a bearing or bushing? and when the kick starter wears out the bore, which is the entire side cover, you have to replace the entire side cover clutch case casting? if so that is so stupid. why didnt they put a bearing there or at least a press in bushing that can be replaced. also is it possible that the kick starter shaft itself could wear before the the case cover bore does? thus saving the expensive side cover and replacing the kick starter shaft only?

No bearing or bushing. I'm assuming it is the side cover that is worn out since the kick start shaft is harder than the side cover. I suppose the shaft could be a little bit worn out as well. Take the side cover off and inspect it to see what is going on.    

No bearing or bushing. I'm assuming it is the side cover that is worn out since the kick start shaft is harder than the side cover. I suppose the shaft could be a little bit worn out as well. Take the side cover off and inspect it to see what is going on.    

thanks. i suppose thats the only way to find out whats going on. i wonder if the hole is worn , maybe a shop can bore it and install a bushing in there for a permanate fix... if they knew that the side cover is softer than the shaft, they should have put a bushing or bearing in there at the factory. just curious, is yours hard to kick over because of high compression?