Sign in to follow this  

Seat Cover Staples

A few years ago I changed the seat cover on my CRF with an electric staple gun with no problems. Today, I went to change the seat cover on 09' KX250F with the same gun and the staples didn't penetrate the plastic seat pan. Is the plastic on the KXF harder? Am I using the wrong staples? Am I using the wrong gun?

I know I could have a shop do it, but its an all blue seat cover and I'm not sure how long I will like it. So I would rather have the right tools to do it myself. Thanks for everyone's help.

I use the biggest widest stainless staples they have (I don't have the package in front of me) and use a heat gun to soften the seat bottom. If it's warm, you can shoot 'em in like butter.

Edited by xplant
ytop

a pneumatic air stapler is $20 at Harbor freight, a heat gun is $12. If you get headaches from putting a seat cover on, then I guess you probably should bring it to someone for $30.

The heat gun trick worked great, I spent less than 10 minutes with the heat gun and electric staple and the results are perfect. Thanks for the tip.

Just sayn, not everyone has the tools, know-how and patience. I spent around $45 on staples and gun at home depot earlier this year when I was gonna put one on my rmz. I've seen a lot of loose/crappy seat cover installs out there. Some things are just worth paying to get done right if your not a badass, which I guess I'm not because when I was 15 we took my seat to an upolstery shop to get covered...lol

Didn't intend belittle you Goon, just that I noted in my first post that I have no desire bringing it to an upholstery shop.

Here's a video that shows how simple it is, for anyone considering what to do with their seat cover.

All good brotha, I know u weren't. If i was a member of this site at the time, im sure I couldve easiley done it! I just bought an SDG step seat for that rmz and just bought another one for my kxf bc I thought it may be a pain to install a cover. I should've saved some $ got the FX seatcover I really wanted! Ughhhh. Thx for the video though, next time!