Exhaust "spooge"

What is it that causes the black gunky "Spooge" that gets all over my rear caliper, swingarm and exhaust canister.

Am I mixing too heavy on the oil? I typically go 36:1.

Is this jjust a side effect of the 2-smoker?

it's unburned oil, 36:1 is not too heavy, spooge is from your jetting being too rich, not your oil ratio, in fact if you were to go to 40:1 it's even richer on the jetting

you can do a plug chop test, but I prefer seat of the pants on the mid/main jet, for the pilot those are very easy to dial in on the air strikers, cant speak for those awful mikuni's

• Like 1

What is it that causes the black gunky "Spooge" that gets all over my rear caliper, swingarm and exhaust canister.

Is this just a side effect of the 2-smoker?

How are your reeds? Worn out reeds will make the bike run rich. What oil are you using? It seems to me an oil with a lower flash point is less likely to spooge, all else being equal. Your gearbox side crank seal could be bad. Is your air filter clean? Correct spark plug, properly gapped? As others have stated, your jetting could be incorrect.

How are your reeds?

I have no clue. Bought the bike a bit over a year ago, and have only changed the air filter and plug. That said, answering your other questions, correct BR8EG plug and gap, air filter does need cleaning and re-oiling which is on the "to-do list before the next ride.

I use Motul 800 2T oil.

Not sure on the jetting, but I have a PWK from a 2000 CR250 laying on the workbench that I have yet to swap. Probably calling JD Jetting in the next week to get a kit for the PWK and start the "Dial-in" process. See where that gets me.

Out of curiosity, how hard is it to check the reeds?

I mean isn't there supposed to be some spooge? Or if you see it it strictly means you're jetted too rich?

How do you know if the main/power jet is too rich or lean just by "seat of the pants" riding?

I don't mind some unburned oil on the rear fender. Some people seem really freaked out by it for some reason. I like to run a little rich for a margin of safety. If it's getting all over the back of the bike, it may be too rich.

There are a lot of jetting guides online. Search is your friend...:busted:

Fix the jetting first.

If the reeds are worn/cracked, he'd have to lean out the jetting to compensate for the worn parts. If he then replaced the reeds he might be too lean. If the crank seal(s) are worn it would probably be best to replace them before trying to get the jetting correct.

Is this jjust a side effect of the 2-smoker?

it is viewed as a side effect of the 2 stroke, however, as others have said, jetting would be the cause (assuming the bike is mechanically sound). i have ran everything from 32:1 up to 24:1. neither spooges for me with proper jetting.

what bike are we talking about here. we can give you a good starting point.

1998 cr250.

is this a new bike to you? has it always "spooged" or did this just start?

1) when is the last time you replaced the crank seals?

2) when is the last time you put a top end in it?

3) when is the last time you changed the reeds?

4) are you loosing any trans fluid?

5) what is your current jetting?

Had the bike for a year, and it's always had the issue.

1: Never

2: Never

3: Never

4: Nope

5: Don't know....stock?

I bought the bike and have just ridden it. Plenty of power....maybe too much for the trial riding I do. All I have done is new air filter (needs cleaning and re-oiling), and spark plug.

006-2.jpg

Put some metal polish on that frame and it will look like mine!

IMAG0422.jpg

I have to polish it every time though, but it's more than worth it.

As for jetting I don't know why I would do someone elses jetting guide. I go exactly by my tuning chart in my manual. What's great is it says I basically only have to change the main jet once a year from 175 to 178 and a quarter turn either way on the air screw when it's at it's coldest, and the rest remains stock.

RyJen if you don't have a service manual tell me your altitude and your overall winter temps and I can tell you exactly what the service manual will recommend on your jetting. That's given you keep the Keihin PJ carb instead of put on the other. I see you're in North Carolina. We actually drove up to charleston wednesday to pick up 12 bike frames and came right back. It's nascar country up there, but from what I could tell it looked like some great dirt bike country as well!

I'm in NC, so temps are going to be just like yours in TN...but I do have a factory manual.

As for polish, it looks great, but call me odd....I like the brushed aluminum look. I have considered hitting it with some sand paper to bring it back to that showroom brushed look. Right now, I just hit it with a scotch brite pad when cleaning.