Sign in to follow this  

? for all 6ft. plus riders

what mods do you guys do to your bikes? im 6'4" on a stock 07 kx450, i was thinking of a higher bend bar or risers, someone also mentioned lower footpegs, but haven't found anything on them. would like to hear your setups

SDG made some quality seats awhile ago. Look up Button bend Renthals. They were made for Jimmy Button, one of the tallest mofo's to through a leg over a seat. I'm 6'2". If you have some meat on your bones,and a little weight to go with your tall stature, go up a couple teeth on your rear sprocket, or down 1 in the front. I know there is a lot of gearing gurus lurking here, if need be, and your looking to do this, maybe they can chime in.

SDG made some quality seats awhile ago. Look up Button bend Renthals. They were made for Jimmy Button, one of the tallest mofo's to through a leg over a seat. I'm 6'2". If you have some meat on your bones,and a little weight to go with your tall stature, go up a couple teeth on your rear sprocket, or down 1 in the front. I know there is a lot of gearing gurus lurking here, if need be, and your looking to do this, maybe they can chime in.

i will look into the button bars, tall seat seems to be a better option than lower footpegs, im only 180lbs, so stock gearing is fine

thanks for the input fellow sykscrapers:thumbsup:

im like 6'1.5" and im ride an 07kx450. The kx450fs are the biggest bikes and kinda built for a bigger rider, but at 6'4" you may benefit from a taller bar bend, or bar risers.

Some people lower the pegs, I dont see a need for it.

6'1" and I need taller bars on basically everything I ride if i'm going to stand up. Otherwise I have to hunch over and it just kills my back.

I am completely against a taller seat. Unless you are like 6' 7" or something its not really needed. It messes up the geometry of the bike, and you should be standing a lot of the time anyway. If you stand correctly bar risers arent really needed either unless you are insanely tall. Im on the taller side of 6' 2"

I'm 6'3 and just run the highest bend renthal do I think its the 725 ? sorry im not sure, I'll find out for you.

I have personally never done anything with seat foam just left it stock cos you're standing alot of the time and just sitting down through the corners where you need to be as far forward as possible, always thought seat foam would cock this bit up lol.

Another big thing i notice over stock footpegs is wide aftermarket footpegs, widest you can find :busted: I'm size 13 and it makes a massive difference for me so you might wanna look into wider fottpegs rather than dropped pegs ? Just an idea :busted:

I am completely against a taller seat. Unless you are like 6' 7" or something its not really needed. It messes up the geometry of the bike, and you should be standing a lot of the time anyway. If you stand correctly bar risers arent really needed either unless you are insanely tall. Im on the taller side of 6' 2"

you may be against a tall seat because you don't need one, and/or have never used one. They are only taller in the middle, the front and back of seat is the same height, and the front is where you sit in turns anyways. They have minuscule effect on handling but imo it helped me. I'm 6'4" and even with the lowered footpeg mounts I still couldn't grip seat with my knees while standing, the extra inch of foam in the middle helped a lot.

I noticed taller bars cramp the cockpit because they are mounted at the same angle as the fork, so the go up and back unless you crank them way forward in the mounts. I think a tc that allows the bars to be move forward from the steering cl is a better option for taller riders. The new bikes are catching on with this concept, the yz' and kx's and ktm's all offer a optional forward mount hole in the tc. Pro taper makes a tc for this.

6'4" here. I found the only mod i needed was differen't bars, and not that much higher of bars either. The bars that were only a little taller then stock but with less sweep were most comfortable for me. To much rise and the bars are to far back, and i hated how bar risers made my front end feel. I use windham bend protapers, but the rc high renthal were the next best thing.

If you don't mind the difference in front end geometry, then bar risers are the cheapest and easierst solution.

iam 6'6 and i ride 08 kx450f and i wanted to do all this stuff to, but iam kinda broke, ive learned to just stay a little more bent at the knees for seat and just deal with it. got alot faster u just need to get used to ur bike, if u think it would help and u got the money then change it, but iam crazy tall, 6'6, 210lbs and im not slow :busted:.. my bike is stock bar hight, foot peg, and seat. so IMO its all how u feel and how u ride ur bike, and 08kx450f is a big roomy bike so that helps to. hope i helped :busted:

Im 6'4, and use the same set up on all the bikes listed in my signature. I like the Renthal twinwall Windham bend bars (because of the minimal sweep) with everything else stock... I ride about 99.9% MX so Im standing more often than not. Seat height isnt too much of an issue, and I have no need for lower pegs as long as im in an attack position. When Im being lazy and sitting its uncomfortable so I stand, simple as that. More important to be comfortable durring the race than riding back and forth from the pits.