Sign in to follow this  

2012 250 sx/xc spring rate

Got my 2012 250sx about a week ago. The stock spring rates are .44 fork and 5.4 rear shock.

I go 185-ish without gear, and about 215-220 in gear, add over size tank (3g+) and bike body armor for off road and it all adds up.

Rad guards 1.5 pounds

bark busters 2lb

slid plate 2lb

link protector 1 lb

extra gallon of gas 6lb

damper and mount 2lb

So it adds up and was looking to see what's working for others. Thanks.

your going to have to go up a rate front and rear as you are already on the edge of needing new springs without the big tank etc

.46 on the front and add a PC link for the rear. Check out racetech...they have a guide chart to help find your spring rate that'll best fit you.

i went up to .46 in front n 5.8 n rear i weigh about the same. race A class moto. had it revalved by mx-tech n it enter a whole nuther world of suspension! expensive but u truely get what u pay for!

.46 on the front and add a PC link for the rear. Check out racetech...they have a guide chart to help find your spring rate that'll best fit you.

I went to the race tech website and did the spring calulator and came up with .52 (stock is .44) for the front and 5.2 (stock is 5.4) for the rear. This sounds crazy to me, how can it be that far off?

I plugged in 190 for weigh (it alledgedly adds gear in for you), over sized tank, offroad, expert rider.

Ah yes the red mx-tech 5.8...I know it well....of course you will need more rebound damping in that sucker. Just had SRS put the Smart stack in mine and no longer need my parachute:eek:

0.52 is way out, not sure what happened there, try the mx tech one.

0.52 is way out, not sure what happened there, try the mx tech one.

I called Race tech and the spring rates are correct as per what they know right now. They are constantly testing and in fact they are testing the ktm 2 strokes right NOW. Me thinks I will wait a while until they get things figured.

your front and rear sags will tell you what spring rates you need