Sign in to follow this  

525 vs. 520

I realize a "chain" thread might generate as much flaming as an oil thread, but here goes...

Has anyone here made the switch (on their DR650) from a 525 to 520 chain? Has anyone ever had one break on them? Are you happy with the sprockets options you have now?

I read so much conflicting stuff about tensile strength and such...drives you crazy!

Chain tensile strength honestly don't mean diddly. 520 chains are regularly used on liter sportbikes putting 160+ hp down for track use without ever breaking. A good aftermarket 520 chain is stronger than an OEM or cheapo 530.

A smaller (520) chain will wear faster, but gives you a savings on rotating mass. Maintain it right and there will be no problems. Chains break because of lack of maintenance and lubrication - Keep it clean and lubed, replace once worn out.

If you're looking in the right places you should be able to get just about any sprocket size you want.

Chains break because of lack of maintenance and lubrication - Keep it clean and lubed, replace once worn out.

And the war begins!

I used to maintain my chain, and have read many threads from those who both lube and clean, and those who just forget it. I've tried both ways and there really is nothing between them. A chain should not 'break', ever. It'll wear out, and since we all use o-ring and x-ring chains there's negligible difference between maintaining the 'outside' of the chain

I stand by the theory that not spending money on chain maintenance products will net you a free chain in the long run, or at the very least pay for any reduction in lifespan

I sometimes clean and lube my chain. I probably don't maintain it like it should be, but I don't buy enough chain lube to cover the price of a new chain.

525 will run on 520 sprockets, but a 520 will be too tight for (wider)525 sprockets. yes you can convert to a 520 "set" without issue on a dr

I think most of you know what the numbers mean but for the few that might not here it is.

The numbers all represents 1/8 of an inch

The first 5 represtents 5/8th of an inch. the distance center to center of the rollers.

The last 2 numbers 25 represent 2 1/2 times an eight or 5/16th of an inch in width.

The 20 represents 2 times an 1/8 or 1/4 inch wide chain.

So will that extra 1/16th of an inch wider chain really make that much difference??

The cost of a 520 chain is cheaper then the 525.

The selection of sprockets for the 520 is also better then the 525 selection.

When I replace my chain I will do so with a 520 setup.

If you run a 525 chain on a 520 sprocket it will work but wear out faster do to the slope side to side of the chain on the sprocket.